My computer keeps freezing

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok i have been having this problem since this problem since this morning. my computer would be working perfectly, not slow at all. then, all of a sudden, it just freezes. i cant move my cursur. i'v waited for about 20 minutes, but nothing happens, and i have to turn the computer off.

whats wrong with my computer, and how can i fix it?

thnx in advance

Sounds Like Overheating

My first guess would have to be heat. Have you gone into bios and checked the "hardware monitor". It will give you the cpu temp. If it is too hot you will damage the processor. Shouldn't run much more than 120 degrees F. Second, is it setting where it can get air, not in a desk cubby hole? How many fans do you have? Start checking everything heat related.

Sounds to me more like a software problem, likely a driver conflict or something.

Take a look in your "event manager" by right clicking on "my computer" then selecting "manage" and "event manager". Search around in the categories there looking for red (or yellow) errors being reported.

What have you installed recently? (both hardware and software). Could always do a system rollback to the last date you had it working.

check the fans on your laptop.... many small fans simply get plugged up.

When did it become a laptop? For that matter when did it become NOT a laptop?

More details on your "macheen" please.

LapTop or DeskTop

Your right.... Laptop or not... DeskTop or not... first i'd check/clean all fans, then I'd check/remove all Ad-ware, Spyware, Junk Files, Clean trojans, clean the Registry, then use start-->run--> sfc /scannow --> then when I restarted I use Ctrl+Alt+Del and bring up task manager -> processes (to see what was taking all resources to cause slowdown)...when it happend next.

cut to the chase

Just back up your data and start over... Format/Reinstall. Or as I used to say Debug/Fdisk/Format/Reinstall. We even had a song for it at Dell, "Fdisk Format Reinstall, doo dah.. do dah, fdisk format reinstall, all the doo-dah day..."

If it still crashes youve got a hardware problem. Its best to sort it out into one or the other (hardware or software) before you go on a wild goose chase with the software side of things.

Wayne

also, make sure you dont install any USB devices, add on cards, etc if you go that route, but I think the easiest thing to try first is testing the RAM with memtest x86 or just running one stick. if it still locks, move the stick to a different slot. gotta love intermittent issues!

Good luck,
Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back