My computer over heats!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Milne

My computer is ok when i am doing simple things like word processing or browsing the internet, but as soon as i play my game, age of empires 3, it instantley begin to heat up very severely, it didnt occur until a little while back when i got my new graphics card, even though my new graphic card has a fan on it and i have 2 more one on side of computer(taking air in) and one on the back(pushing air out). I also have one on my processor, but i cant understand why my computer heats up so much now, the top of my case becomes extremely hot, my game and computer completely froze today. Any recommendations on what wud be the best fan to get for my computer will be helpful. Thanks

Maintainance:
- Open up your pc, and use a compressed air source or vaccum to clean out all of the dust, especialy on the heatsinks and the dust filters. Make sure you hold on to the fans so to aviod it spinning rapidly while you are cleaning it.
-Tie up all the cables and neat them up to maximise airflow
-Download Speedfan or Everest Home, and check your idle temps (while you are not doing anything) then play an intensive game for a few minutes and check it again. Post up what results you have.

This should be a regular maintanance routine to help keep temps down.. if its still hot, then locate which part is running hot, and investigate to see if you can add a fan or cooling option nearby, or upgrade the heatsink/fan on it.

It may also be a cheap power supply unit (PSU). A new graphics card can often over tax a poor PSU and it works to it's limit, producing alot of heat. Eventually it reaches it's maximum output efficiency and power and the PC lock ups.
See my links in my sig for further suggestions.
Cheers.

also ensure you have adequate ventilation. Add another muffin fan if you need to. Use proper thermoddynamics. At the bottom or side, cool air should blow in. At the top and rear hot air should blow out.

IF you built the computer, ensure you used thermal paste between the CPU and cpu fan.

if you have any intensive graphics cards, your PSU may be undersized. 450W is the recommended minimum these days.

N3051M said:
Maintainance:
- Open up your pc, and use a compressed air source or vaccum to clean out all of the dust, especialy on the heatsinks and the dust filters. Make sure you hold on to the fans so to aviod it spinning rapidly while you are cleaning it.
-Tie up all the cables and neat them up to maximise airflow
-Download Speedfan or Everest Home, and check your idle temps (while you are not doing anything) then play an intensive game for a few minutes and check it again. Post up what results you have.

This should be a regular maintanance routine to help keep temps down.. if its still hot, then locate which part is running hot, and investigate to see if you can add a fan or cooling option nearby, or upgrade the heatsink/fan on it.

i have not yet cleaned the dust, but i have downloaded speed fan and it says
these are the results when idle
Temp1:43C to 44C and it has a tick next to it
Temp2:52C to 54C and its got a flame next it...
HDO:36C

by the way, for some unknown reason it says fan 1, 0 RPM???both fans are working...
and fan 2, 3444 RPM (varys alot)

right, now heres my temp when on a game....after playing for about 15-20 mins

Temp1:52C and a flame next to it
Temp2:66C and a flame next to it
HDO:43C and an up sign

these temperature seem quite bad, and i assume the longer i play the higher they will go, can u tell me what you think is wrong, and why it says fan 1 is 0 RPM?

From recent experience I'm going to guess its your Powersupply. Your new video card is either pushing it too hard, or you bought a inexpensive Powersupply.
If its the same for you as it was for me, eventually your Powersupply will burn up, and possibly catch on fire.
....mine basicly blew up, lol, no kidding.

I had a BFG 6800GT 256mb OC and a cheap powersupply, I think the computer shut off on its own, so I went to turn it back on and the powersupply sounded like fireworks going off (I guess from electricity popping) and a big flash of blue light from the electricity.

mstpaintball said:
From recent experience I'm going to guess its your Powersupply. Your new video card is either pushing it too hard, or you bought a inexpensive Powersupply.
If its the same for you as it was for me, eventually your Powersupply will burn up, and possibly catch on fire.
....mine basicly blew up, lol, no kidding.

I had a BFG 6800GT 256mb OC and a cheap powersupply, I think the computer shut off on its own, so I went to turn it back on and the powersupply sounded like fireworks going off (I guess from electricity popping) and a big flash of blue light from the electricity.

i hope its something else, how much does a new and good power supply cost? my computer has quite a decent spec of 3.4ghz, 2gb RAM and 256mb GeForce graphics card, what the worst that cud happen if i leave it to continue overheating? what also is the best powersupply to get?

Milne said:
ok, my computer has a 450 wattage power supply, so i dont think that is the problem.
If it's generic or from a bad brand, it may very well be the problem.

Do you know the ampage on the 12V rail? Also the brand of the PSU, of course.

Yeh, i could agree with the previous posts possibly be a PSU problem. Open up your case and where the cable you plug into the mains its a box. From that, tell us the brand/model of the PSU.. also post up the readings from Speedfan on the voltages you get.

But first, we'll have to bring those idle temperatures down to safe.
Did you get a chance to follow my maintainance instructions?

FYI: Temp 1 is your ambient/motherboard temps, Temp 2 is your CPU temps. Fan 1 is your case fans, if connected to your motherboard and has a sensor thing on it. Fan 2 is your CPU fan, which fluctuates depending on the current temperature.

After you clean up, post your new temps here again. Well see if you'll need to add additional cooling devices or not...

Hey,
I have basically have had the exact same problem, to lower the temp, i went and bought a new PC case which brought my CPU temp from 77C to 64C, altho this is too high, my PSU has a lower Wattage then what is the mininum for my 6600 GT graphics card. So i would have to say that it is most likely going to be your PSU
cheers
hynesy

Do i use a vacum cleaner to remove the dust from my computer? and what do i use the vacum on? cud the vacum damage anything on my computer by the way? to be on the safe side i am going to get a new fan soon hopefully, can u tell me if this will be any good to put on (because it doesnt say the speed of the fan, etc.), I have a free slot just below my psu for a fan.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=36719&criteria=case fans&doy=23m7

My psu is a 'win power' one, is this a good brand?

I'll give my voltages now, but I will post the new temperatures etc. when i clean it later today.

Vcore: 1.33V
+3.3V: 3.28V
+5V: 5.11V
+12V: 11.19
-12V: 0.47V
-5V: 1.84V
+5VSB: 5.48V
VBAT: 0.02V

A:Do i use a vacum cleaner to remove the dust from my computer? B: and what do i use the vacum on? C:cud the vacum damage anything on my computer by the way?
A:Yes, you can, although a can of compressed air is much easier
B:Your main targets are the heatsinks, fan grills/filters, and pretty much the whole case
C:No, just take care that it doesnt knock anything over etc.. your basic common sense and care.

That fan is a 12cm fan. If your case has space 12cm for the fan, then by all means. Remember the rule of airflow: Front to back, Sides in, Bottom to top.

+12V: 11.19
That just confirmed that the PSU is possibly getting overtaxed. Win Power i assume is a generic brand, as i've not heard of it.. but in any case, that PSU could be just not have enough power to run your system efficiently. Just chill out on playing any games for now untill you can resolve this issue.

First, find out what you need. Use a calculator such as this and add some headroom, like 50Watts ontop for your minimum. Modern systems you should be looking at 20Amps or more on the 12Volt line.
Then look for PSUs that arn't of a generic nature, and meets/exceeds the level you need. Sometimes brands count for seeing which ones are good, like Antec, Enermax, Coolermaster etc.

Although that should just be a guide. In other words, look at reviews, and recomendations before purchasing one...

That just confirmed that the PSU is possibly getting overtaxed. Win Power i assume is a generic brand, as i've not heard of it.. but in any case, that PSU could be just not have enough power to run your system efficiently. Just chill out on playing any games for now untill you can resolve this issue.

so you really think i need a new psu?, my friend works for a computer company and he told me its quite tricky to replace the psu, but if i do need it replace im sure he can do it for me. I have been lookin on ebuyer for a new one so i thought i'd put up the list of what i have came across.

http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/101806
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/106452/product_info/rb/20600421293
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/102587/product_info/rb/20600482631
(for this one, i went on one of the reviews and it said this..+3.3 28A
+5.0 39A
+12.0 33A
-5.0 0.8A
-12.0 0.8A
+5 VSB 2.5A
will that do then?)

tell me what u think, and how much money should i be spending on a new psu, if it turns out to be the problem?, ill see tonight when i clean my computer if the temperature goes down and that, but if not ill let you know , im going to also send in the new results for the temperature.

ok, i cleaned my computer, there was hardly any dust because it is quite new like i got it at christmas, and i checked the temperature and they havnt changed at all so i guess its the power supply, i am thinking about getting this PSU

http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/102587

because it is good value, its 600 watts, and the i checked the reviews and one said that the PSU has a +12.0 33A which i guess is sufficent because i went on the PSU calculator and it said that the 12v rail needs to be over 26A for a high powered graphics card, so this is more than i need, please tell me your thoughts on this power supply.

Milne said:
ok, i cleaned my computer, there was hardly any dust because it is quite new like i got it at christmas, and i checked the temperature and they havnt changed at all so i guess its the power supply, i am thinking about getting this PSU

http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/102587

because it is good value, its 600 watts, and the i checked the reviews and one said that the PSU has a +12.0 33A which i guess is sufficent because i went on the PSU calculator and it said that the 12v rail needs to be over 26A for a high powered graphics card, so this is more than i need, please tell me your thoughts on this power supply.
I wouldn't cheap out on a PSU as it's one of the few parts that could take your entire system with it if it fails.

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=95194 Is a very good alternative(36A on dual +12V rails) but it's considerably higher priced. Quality difference will be much more than the price difference, however.

I am on sort of a low budget as i dont have much money at the moment, but do you think this PSU do for the time being, i have read reviews on it and everyone seems rather pleased with it, so i dunno, also, do you think this will solve the heating problem in my computer?

I need software to monitor CPU temp. I HAVE A DELL INPIRON 8600 1.5GB RAM 100 GBHDD, 1.6 GHZ PROC. PLEASE HELP

You can download Speed fan, but you should open up a new thread for that instead of asking in this thread.

Milne said:
I am on sort of a low budget as i dont have much money at the moment, but do you think this PSU do for the time being, i have read reviews on it and everyone seems rather pleased with it, so i dunno, also, do you think this will solve the heating problem in my computer?

Well if the specs for the PSU you link to are true ( I couldn't find any on your link page) then it should be just fine. Even if it's not the best quality PSU you have enough overkill that you won't over stress it. I'm not saying Sansun isn't good I'm just not familar with them.

Yes this will solve your overheating problem, the thing that's overheating and making your PC hot to the touch is the cheap generic crappy PSU you in there now.

Cheers and take care.

Well if the specs for the PSU you link to are true ( I couldn't find any on your link page) then it should be just fine. Even if it's not the best quality PSU you have enough overkill that you won't over stress it. I'm not saying Sansun isn't good I'm just not familar with them.

Yes this will solve your overheating problem, the thing that's overheating and making your PC hot to the touch is the cheap generic crappy PSU you in there now.

Cheers and take care.

Thank you, it might be a couple of weeks until i get a new PSU because im going on holiday soon, by the way, the specs are found in the peoples opinions, its the first opinion which states what the spec is.

When i have installed my new PSU i will post my new temperature, thank alot for everyone who has helped me on this issue.

Well if the specs for the PSU you link to are true ( I couldn't find any on your link page)

if you go under peoples opinions, it gives the list of the spec on the PSU, anyways, thanks for everyone that has posted and helped me, it may be a couple of weeks until i get a new PSU because im going on holiday soon, but i will post in my new computer temperature when i do get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back