"My Computer" will not open

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a newly installed legal copy of WinXP Pro on a friend's computer. Everything was fine until a .rar file from her friend in Russia was scanned with AVG as clean, unzipped, and then everything went bad. I've done a repair install of XP but, the problem remains. All the desktop icons will open their associated programs except "My Computer" it just shows the flashlight looking for whatever, the same thing happens in 'explore'-- no drives are shown except "C." The bios shows all the installed drives correctly but Windows can't find anything but "C." Any ideas?

I guess the next step will be to format and reinstall, strangely enough the computer will boot from the CD Rom even though it doesn't show up in Windows.

Yep, the full reformat and reinstall is slowest but best way to deal with this problem. It will be difficult for anyone on the list to come up with useful suggestions unless hyou can tell us a lot more about the .rar file and its purpose.

raybay said:
Yep, the full reformat and reinstall is slowest but best way to deal with this problem. It will be difficult for anyone on the list to come up with useful suggestions unless hyou can tell us a lot more about the .rar file and its purpose.
The .rar file was a photo sent by her artist friend in Russia, I suspect it picked up something nasty along the way. I agree, a format and reinstall is called for as soon as she checks to see if she needs to save anything of importance.

Thanks for the response.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back