My computer won'y start up

Status
Not open for further replies.

hypaspid

I tried putting on my computer the other day and it won't start. It beeps when I put on the power switch. I thought it was the RAM but i tested it and it's Ok and even tried replacing it with no luck. What could be the problem and how do i diagoniose it?

I tried my RAM on a frineds computer and it worked Ok, but his RAM didn't change the situation with my computer

Please post your complete specs for your computer (motherboard, power supply, video card, ram etc), and also give us the exact details of what happens when you hit the power switch. Do any fans start up in your case? Do you have any lights on your motherboard lit up?

Made any changes to your system lately? Either hardware or software?

When i switch it on the power supply fan works, the processor fan works fine, the motherboard light is on. But it beeps continously for about 5 seconds. The motherbpard is AOpen MX46LS-V released in 2002 with intel celeron(R) (1.7 Ghz), socket 478, Phoenix/Award Technologies Bios with 256 KB ROM version 6.00 PG, 128 RAM, Windows 2000 OS. Power supply is AOpen ATX-250GT(P4). The only card in the expansion slots is the modem, others are inbuilt.

AWARD BIOS BEEP CODES

The following are Award BIOS Beep Codes that can occur. However because of the wide variety of different computer manufacturers with this BIOS the beep codes may vary.

Beep Code Description
1 long, 2 short Indicates a video error has occurred and the BIOS cannot initialize the video screen to display any additional information
Any other beep(s) RAM problem.

If any other correctable hardware issues the BIOS will display a message.

Taken from here: http://www.computerhope.com/beep.htm#05

I doubt that updating the bios would help, but it can't hurt to try. Update if there is a newer version available.

The bios beeps are saying that there is a problem with your ram. But you say that you tested differerent ram on that computer and the other ram also did not work? Was this other ram compatible with your motherboard (same speed)?

Take a look at your motherboard for blown capacitors. Are you seeing any goo on top of those little parts on the motherboard?

Maybe try removing the CMOS battery and that will reset your BIOS to defaults. Can you get into your BIOS screen?? I'm suggesting that so you can change the boot sequence and boot from your CD-ROM or a floppy.

It could also be a partial failure of your PSU, lost one of the rails. Quite common on a 3 year old China crap PSU.

How can I test to find out if it is a video error given that the video card is inbuilt in the mother board

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back