My Core 2 Duo E4300 is running too hot :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

wolfram

I'm very worried about it :(

Just look at this image:

untitledej1.jpg

It is running WAY too hot. All my case fans are running @ 100%, the CPU fan runs above 2000 RPM's, and my room temp is about 72°F (gets up to 90°F or a bit more in summer).

My Vcore is running normal, I just overclocked my CPU to E6400 speeds (1.8 Ghz stock).

What should I do? Reduce my overclock, reseat the ****ing Intel HSF, or what? :confused:

I don't want to kill my precious CPU :(

Any advice?

EDIT: I measured the temp using CoreTemp, and I've got mixed results:

untitled2vx8.jpg

Intel's TAT reports worse temperatures, while Core Temp shows better ones. What program should I trust?

DAMN that is hot! Try getting more cooling in there ASAP and downclocking the frequency. Also, try keeping the PC away from direct sunlight, since that causes the air in the case to heat up.

That is hot. Are you using the thermal pad for the intel heatsink, or did you apply thermal compound? Have you checked what your temp is in the new speedfan (4.32)? It has core2duo temperature sensing built in. I'm surprised to see tat running on your system with vista. I can't get it to run, so I've been using core temp and speedfan. I'd try reseating the heatsink, and applying as5 thermal paste instead of the thermal pad, if that's what you used.

I saw in another forum one guy got a c2d chip that was always scorching hot, but his heatsink was not very warm. I think it turned out that the cpu's IHS(metal heatspreader over the cpu die) wasn't touching the cpu die, so there wasn't thermal transfer. I guess in that case, a person probably couldn't really return it, so the only way to get better temps is to remove the IHS and mount the heatsink on the "naked chip." So does your heatsink feel like it's scorching hot to match the reported temps?

If you are using the thermal pad, and had to do any (no matter how slight you think it may have been) repositioning or twisting to initially get all 4 of those plastic pins lined up to go through the motherboard you likely tore that thermal pad. I know because I did it on one of my builds a few months ago. You really should be using some AS5 and clean and reapply if you have to shift that thing at all trying to get it lined up.

yeah might want to consider getting air condition or something, remember your pc can only get as cool as the outside air with just fans buddy

zzz, I think the problem is not his temps, but the temp readings.

If those temps aren't causing trouble, I'd say let it be. If you're thinking of overclocking higher, you might want to invest in some other temp sensors, or at least feel the base of the heatsink while its reporting those temps and see if they're hot or not. At close to 80C, you should feel that its hot enough that you'd want to retract your hand after a sec or so. (p.s. you're not touching the chip itself, so what you feel might be cooler than it really is).

Hey, how the hell are TAT and CoreTemp reporting such different results? Maybe you've got a bad sensor then, as CMH has suggested. Try using Speedfan and see what it reports.
P.S.->Don't lambast me that I didn't notice it before. I just didn't read the actual temps from CoreTemp in the screenshot. Too eager to help I suppose...

Thanks you a lot guys for your posts. Sorry for taking 5 days to respond :eek: I've been working on my PC. I've added a new intake fan (My case now has 7 fans lol), reseated the ******** Intel HSF, etc.

Rage_3k_Moiz said:
Try getting more cooling in there ASAP and downclocking the frequency. Also, try keeping the PC away from direct sunlight, since that causes the air in the case to heat up.

My PC case is away from direct sunlight. And as I've already said, I now have 7 freaking fans inside the case.

vnf4ultra said:
That is hot. Are you using the thermal pad for the intel heatsink, or did you apply thermal compound? Have you checked what your temp is in the new speedfan (4.32)? It has core2duo temperature sensing built in. I'm surprised to see tat running on your system with vista. I can't get it to run, so I've been using core temp and speedfan. I'd try reseating the heatsink, and applying as5 thermal paste instead of the thermal pad, if that's what you used.

I saw in another forum one guy got a c2d chip that was always scorching hot, but his heatsink was not very warm. I think it turned out that the cpu's IHS(metal heatspreader over the cpu die) wasn't touching the cpu die, so there wasn't thermal transfer. I guess in that case, a person probably couldn't really return it, so the only way to get better temps is to remove the IHS and mount the heatsink on the "naked chip." So does your heatsink feel like it's scorching hot to match the reported temps?

Hehe lol, I'm using Windows XP :)

I removed the thermal pad, and applied some AS5. I have reseated the heatsink (it needed more AS5 :eek:), and managed to get lower temperatures, but according to TAT, it's still above 65°C. But according to CoreTemp & Speedfan, it never gets to 60°C.

I have touched the heatsink, and it's not that hot. It feels warm, but not scorching hot. There's a lot of airflow around the CPU socket area, so that should help.

Speedfan and CoreTemp report the same temperature, but TAT is just too drastic.

What would you do?

Thanks a lot :)

That's a good cooler. The only better one really is the Zalman 9700 which replaced the 9500, but it's more expensive and not that much better.

This is a much better cooler that I have bought recently. It is cheaper than the Zalman and much quieter too, besides having a 6-year warranty. It also supports the Core 2 Quad Extreme (which get very hot BTW) so I think it's a better choice than the Zalman.

Are you sure Rage? The Zalman is bigger, is made of copper, and is more expensive.

Are you using that cooler on your current processor? :)

I bought the Freezer 7 Pro mainly because it's cheaper than the Zalman, much more quieter and has a longer lifetime, as well as the fact that I didn't need that much cooling in my rig, since I already have a watercooling setup. The Zalman has much more airflow so performance-wise, it wins easily but that performance comes at a price. So for a cheaper alternative, get the AC one. And yes, I do have it on my current processor.

Ah, you have a watercooling setup... I'm not that lucky yet :)

Here in Cd. Juarez gets pretty damn hot in the summer (Almost 115°F), so I need the best air cooler. I already have money for the 9500, so I may get it.
I know there are better coolers out there, but the Zalman should perform nicely. And since I have 7 fans in my case, that should help a lot.

Thanks for your input guys :cool:

EDIT: Another question for u Rage. Have you used TAT? If so, what are your temperature readings? Your have a higher end CPU, so it has to run hotter than my E4300.

No I don't use TAT, I only use Speedfan and Everest Home for checking temps. The CPU usually stays at around 40C at idle and goes all the way up to around 48C under full load. I have it at 3.4 ATM and I don't wanna go higher. It's an expensive CPU and I don't wanna lower the lifespan any more.

I have an e4300 OCed to 3Ghz on stock cooling. I have TAT, but don't use it. I've read on other forums that it is known to gives temps way too high, not to mention that I don't like the the way it loads the CPU. I dont know what it does but it seems like it puts more stress on your CPU than is possible with any normal game or app. If I use Orthos or any other CPU stressing program my loads get to 60C but no higher. When I use TAT it says my CPU is getting to 85C under load. Maybe its using a different sensor, I dont know. All in all, I wouldn't use TAT.

BTW Does anyone here think that a Zalman 9500 would be too heavy to put in a comp that is brought to LAN parties often? I'm looking at that or an Arctic Freezer 7 Pro. I've heard of some heatsinks like the Tuniq Tower falling off and taking other parts down with it.

CaBo0sE said:
If I use Orthos or any other CPU stressing program my loads get to 60C but no higher.

I get the same results. It gets to 60-62°C when running games, but over 70°C when using TAT. I will uninstall that crap now, and will continue using CoreTemp and Speedfan.

And if you move your PC a lot CaBo0sE, then you should use the Freezer 7 PRO. It's lighter, and thus safer to use.

Thanks for your help guys. I will get the 9500 cooler soon, and post new results.

Regards :wave:

It is a good cooler, but I insist :)p), the Zalman is bigger, and it's made of copper, so it has to be a bit better than the Freezer.

However, I may be wrong :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back