My DVD Drives only read CDs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DAVEO

Can anyone please help me?

I have 2 DVD dual format drives in my desktop, the double layer drive HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4120B ( E: ) won't read CD or DVD discs and HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4040B ( D: ) will only read CD discs. :(

Both tell me to please "Insert disc into drive #:" when I click on them in My Computer.

Windows device status tells me both are working properly?
It will also tell me the manufacturer is (Standard CD-ROM drives)

The drivers are OK, do I have a problem with the drives firmware?
and how can I get replacement firmware for them?

Cheers, Daveo

Are the jumper settings correct?
Will they read outside of Windows (Bootable cd/dvd or live linux cd)?
Is the cable properly seated?
Is the cable good?
Have the drives worked in the past?
Have you tried uninstalling the drives in Device Manager and rebooting?
Are you using any emulation software such as Daemon Tools or Alcohol 120%?

You can find firmware for the drives on their respective manufacturer's site, there are no specific drivers avaiable because they fall under a generic Windows driver.

A few of things you can try are.

Go into your device manager and uninstall all your optical drives, then reboot your system and let Windows redetect them.

If that doesn`t help, try a new ide cable, then do the above again.

If it`s still a no go, try the following.

Click start/run and type regedit into the run box and press the enter key. Navigate to the following key.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}. . Delete the keys named UpperFilters and LowerFilters and reboot.

Finally, make sure the devices are jumpered correctly. I.E one should be set as master and the other as slave, do not use cable select.

Other than the above, I don`t have any other suggestions, except that maybe your drives are faulty.

Regards Howard :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back