My DVD is not reading DVDs , but it reads CDs

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi,

My DVD-ROM (HL-DT-ST- DVD-ROM GDR8161B) is not reading DVDs, but it reads CDs, My computer is Compaq presario 6171, OS Windows XP. it was reading DVDs before. but gradually it stoped reading DVDs (both software and Movies). pls help me.

Thanks

Sudheer.

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Please would you take a few moments to read this post. A message for all newcomers. Thanks.

In answer to your problem. Your dvd rom`s laser is dying. Hence the gradual decrease in your dvd rom`s performance.

You need to replace your dvd rom. They`re only cheap, and this will undoubtedly solve your problem.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

If your drive reads cd's, but not dvd's That indicates that the hardware works fine. You will need to edit the registry inorder to fix this problem.

1) click the start menu
2) click on "run"
3) type "regedit" and click ok
4) go to string key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
5) delete "upper filters" and "lower filters in the right side window.
6) right click my computer in the start menu.
7) click properties
8) go to the hardware tab
9) click device manager
10) expand the dvd/cdrom drives
11) right click the dvd rom and click uninstall
12) restart computer

after restarting, windows should automatically install a clean ROM drive and it should read DVDs just fine if you have the correct DVD decoders.

I`m having the same problem.. What would cause the registry to change and what are those filters for??? Mine was working perfectly then about an hour later it wouldn`t work. Except for the cd part.. Just curious, mine is still under warranty and less then a year old..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back