My DVD-RAM Drive cannot read blank CDs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know whats wrong, this is my first time to write a CD with this laptop hp dv1680ea. The drive cannot regonise blank or written on CD-Rs. Normal audio CDs it will pick up and blank DVD-Rs and DVDs, but for some reason not CD-Rs??

I've tried uninstalling the drive in device manager and restarting but nothing, (only my recording sofware, Sonic v7 can't see the DVD-ROM drive anymore... super!!!)

Anyway the drive comes up as 'HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4084N' on the device manager, the system is WinXP Home.

CAN ANYONE HELP???? :(

well seing as its your first time burning something, have you actually installed the software to record on the CD's? they do not work like floppy discs.
you would have been given the software on the instillation disc that came with the drive, if not, get an application such as nero burning rom

i already said i have 'sonic7' burning software... i'm not stupid

the drive cant read any cd now?? it used to be able before it crashed half way through burning a cd.

Does anybody think its a hardware fault or software??

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Uninstall and reinstall your burning software.

If that doesn`t help, I suggest your drive is faulty.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

dont think the software has anythin to do wit it. but yeah i recon so that its fault, cause cds just keep spinning in the drive and the computer just cant read them anymore :( brand new laptop, ill just bring it back

well i brought the machine back and it was a hardware fault, its still waiting for HP to collect it for repair, lost without it :(

It just needs a replacement drive. The DVD part of the drive is totally seperate from the CD part, aparently, as it uses two different lasers, so thats why it can read&write DVDs but not CDs.

Anyway hope no one has the same problem, as far as I'm aware there has been a lot of faults with this model laptop.:suspiciou

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back