My Fan is really loud...Help Please

Status
Not open for further replies.

SniperX670yo

Well, i have an nvidia geforce 7800 graphics card and latley the fan has been running really loud.... for example it will be fine then it will get loud for a little bit and the slow back down.... its really annoying to listen to so any suggestions?

what I'm thinking is that is goes louder when the card gets hotter. e.g. while youre playing games. There are a few options. 1:download speedfan and see if you can control your graphics card an(make sure it doesnt get too hot though) or 2: buy a different fan for your card. The first option will probably suffice. Go and have a look. http://almico.com/speedfan.php

I believe there's a driver issue for the 7000's. I know there is for the 7900GS with Vista32 involving loud fans. Not sure what you have, maybe something to look into.

yeah the 7 series are loud and they get hot FAST!, thats why i went with liquid cooling. Its a big help in noise reduction

There is a problem with the fan in Vista32 on my 7800GS. In XP it would only spin up to jet volume when it was hot. In Vista it spins up to that anytime the monitor is on. It isn't temperature related because if you just go in and wake it up it instantly goes into jet mode.

taylub said:
yeah the 7 series are loud and they get hot FAST!, thats why i went with liquid cooling. Its a big help in noise reduction
Really? My 7900GS has a passive cooler, it doesn't overheat and certainly isn't loud :p

Mictlantecuhtli said:
Really? My 7900GS has a passive cooler, it doesn't overheat and certainly isn't loud :p
What I should have said is that I have never herd mine get loud but I have herd other peoples 7 series however my physX card is the loudest part of my comp :)

rich kids with nowhere to spend cash.

Anyway, a liquid cooling system isn't the solution for you. If you haven't thought about it before, don't start now, and don't let anyone suggest it to you. Only *****s would for someone who's not thinking of some serious overclocking or serious noise reduction (think completely silent).

For you, you might want to look into some way of getting your fans to spin a little slower. Check any bundled programs, they may have some way of controlling that fan of yours.

Someone mentioned a possible driver problem. Try updating to the latest Vista drivers, they might have fixed the problem.

Also, there may be third party programs which will allow you to control your graphics card fan.

If all the above fails, you might want to buy a third party cooler for your card. I've got the thermalright HR03, and with something like that, a quiet 92mm fan will cool your graphics card down without making a huge fuss.

I just thought of this while reading another thread:
Perhaps the everlube or whateverlube has worn out the fan? You could try disassembling and relubing (think WD40 or machine oil), but be very careful, as the parts are quite small in these units.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back