my interest problem

timurtaljanovic

my problem...this may sound alittle strange, but here it goes.

i am extremely interested in computers. there are atleast three goals that i'd like to accomplish with computers.

goals:
1) understand how the computer works inside.
2) understand how to solve problems that occur daily.
3) finally, be able to help others when they have their own computer problems.

this is actually where the problem comes in. i don't know where to start with all these goals. mabye someone on the forum could tell me some of the things they did to start with their better knowledge on computers. :)

thank you. :grinthumb

get your hands on an old machine that someone's throwing out. it'll cost you nothing...

One of the first things I`d recommend is for you to get a book that deals with you operating system. I.E if you are running Windows xp, then Windows xp for dummies is an excellent book. Also Upgrading and fixing pc`s for dummies is a good read too.

Ask questions of you friends and us here too. Don`t be afraid to ask what may seem to be a dumb question. We all had to learn sometime.

You might want to take a look at this guide to building a pc http://www.motherboards.org/articlesd/how-to-guides/924_1.html

I`m not saying you should attempt to build one now, but it should give you a better understanding of what`s involved.

As you become more familiar with you computer and it`s jargon, you will begin to realise that some things aren`t that difficult at all.

Keep looking on the Techspot boards, you can learn lots by just reading the threads. Take a good look at some of the stickies. They really are informative.

As your confidence, and experience grows, you will begin to be able to help others who have problems.

I hope some of this proves useful to you.

Regards Howard :grinthumb

howard_hopkinso said:
One of the first things I`d recommend is for you to get a book that deals with you operating system. I.E if you are running Windows xp, then Windows xp for dummies is an excellent book. Also Upgrading and fixing pc`s for dummies is a good read too.

Ask questions of you friends and us here too. Don`t be afraid to ask what may seem to be a dumb question. We all had to learn sometime.

You might want to take a look at this guide to building a pc http://www.motherboards.org/articlesd/how-to-guides/924_1.html

I`m not saying you should attempt to build one now, but it should give you a better understanding of what`s involved.

As you become more familiar with you computer and it`s jargon, you will begin to realise that some things aren`t that difficult at all.

Keep looking on the Techspot boards, you can learn lots by just reading the threads. Take a good look at some of the stickies. They really are informative.

As your confidence, and experience grows, you will begin to be able to help others who have problems.

I hope some of this proves useful to you.

Regards Howard :grinthumb

yes, i am running the windows xp professional operating system.

i'll be sure to get those books, or something similar. :)
what is a jargon? :eek:

i really look forward into learning the computer to a 'professional' level. none of my friends of family are that experienced in computers, so this will be good for me. :)

Jargon is simply the terms used for computers. I.E Ram(random access memory) Hdd(hard drisk drive)etc etc.

Although some of the terms may seem alien to you now. You`ll be surprised at how quick it becomes part of your everyday life.

Regards Howard :)

P.s could you please not start every post with the post number thanks.

Well for the hardware aspect of the PC..i would recomend anything by Mike Myers. I used his book to get my A+ here are a few good ones he has written.
Managing and Troubleshooting PCs Lab Manual

this is the one i used

A+ total exam book

and while you may not be interested in geting your a+ (which is very easy) the books will show you an intermeadte guide to both hardware and software.

Sean

howard_hopkinso said:
Jargon is simply the terms used for computers. I.E Ram(random access memory) Hdd(hard drisk drive)etc etc.

Although some of the terms may seem alien to you now. You`ll be surprised at how quick it becomes part of your everyday life.

Regards Howard :)

P.s could you please not start every post with the post number thanks.

i see. so they're just shorter and easier ways to type the words, instead of having to type those long words out?

i have edited all my posts, and deleted the part where i wrote the post number. i also stopped doing it. :)

AtK SpAdE said:
Well for the hardware aspect of the PC..i would recomend anything by Mike Myers. I used his book to get my A+ here are a few good ones he has written.
Managing and Troubleshooting PCs Lab Manual

this is the one i used

A+ total exam book

and while you may not be interested in geting your a+ (which is very easy) the books will show you an intermeadte guide to both hardware and software.

Sean

thank you for the links.

i just have a question. what is 'a+'?

A+ is a certifaction by CompTia (an orgianzation) it is mainly focus on PC repair and maintance and its quite easy. It has two parts software, and hardware and costs around 250 bucks, but even if your not inretested in gettin certified, those books will teach you the basics +more without going into to much detail.

Sean

AtK SpAdE said:
A+ is a certifaction by CompTia (an orgianzation) it is mainly focus on PC repair and maintance and its quite easy. It has two parts software, and hardware and costs around 250 bucks, but even if your not inretested in gettin certified, those books will teach you the basics +more without going into to much detail.

Sean

interesting. :)

how do i benefit from getting a certificate on A+ (except for gaining knowledge)?

Well the A+ is one the very basic certifactions needed (for most) PC repair jobs. Alot more are available, yes, but the a+ is sort of step 1.

Sean

AtK SpAdE said:
Well the A+ is one the very basic certifactions needed (for most) PC repair jobs. Alot more are available, yes, but the a+ is sort of step 1.

Sean

well then, i suppose step 1 it is! :) you got it, A+...here i come. ;)

those links you provided are books for learning A+, correct?

once you actually get an old computer, take it apart and strip it down. then rebuild it and complete a fresh install of the appropriate operating system. that's how i started out...

zephead said:
once you actually get an old computer, take it apart and strip it down. then rebuild it and complete a fresh install of the appropriate operating system. that's how i started out...

i am good with math and mechanics. will that help me anyway in building a computer?

let me explain when i say i'm good at mechanics. i automatically know where things go, how to put them together/apart even if i have never seen the electronic.
when i say that i'm good at math, that's pretty self-explanitory. i am simply the best in my grade, and it comes very easily to me. sometimes i feel my mind operates on numbers. :)

so...will that in any way help me with building the computer.

also, how will i know which is the appropriate opperating system to install? :suspiciou

some questions:

1.) what is a 'clock speed'?
2.) how do you know if your video card is good or bad?
3.) what is a 'memory bus'?
4.) what is a 'modem'?
5.) how do you know if your sound card is good or bad?

i'd really like if someone could answer me those questions. howard_hopkinso showed me this really interesting site where it gives you a step-by-step computer building plan for those who are interested.
in order to build the computer, i need to buy the parts. and i need to know what the parts do first. :)

zephead said:
you can find lots of answers to such questions at www.computerhope.com, or you can use a good 'ol google define: command.

cool, thank you. :)

more questions:
1.) is there any good website teaching people how to make websites?
2.) are businesses involving computers doing well these days?
3.) is it difficult to start a business? how old do you have to be?

i searched over the internet for a starters website. i found this thing called geocities on yahoo. it's not the best tool for making a website, but i think it's a good start. :)
click here for a link to my website. it's still under-construction.

zephead said:
a local pc shop would be best, if you have one in your vicinity.

there are quite a few computer shops near my home actually. there are two just across the street, but things are pretty expensive. :(

i found some speakers for my desktop. i didn't need anything extremely good, but anything better than the large headphones that i was using at the time. :) i found the logitech r-10 speakers on sale, and for a good price.

6767598SPA63UC148998M.jpg

Speaker System
System Components - 2 speakers
Speaker Type - Active
Magnetic Shield - Yes
Audio Amplifier - Integrated
Connectivity Technology - Wired
Controls - Volume
Connections
Connector Type 1 x audio input
1 x headphones
Manufacturer Warranty