My laptop cannot find a connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

trekoclv

I have a Sony VAIO FS-550 and starting an hour ago, I cannot get onto the internet. The wireless switch is in the on position. When I click on refresh network list, it comes up that no networks are in range, yet it is 3 feet from the router and right next to the computer I am on which also uses the same router. For about 5 minutes it was locating someone elses router, but I just took a walk around the block with my laptop and I couldn't find a thing. Somebody please help. And tell me it is something small and easy to fix. Thanks.

update

So it found the router finally, but now it says it is disabled. So I go to the network connections folder and try to enable it, but no luck. I am gonna try restarting the computer. Crap I hope this doesn't screw anything up.

Hi

maybe dodgy software, or a dodgy network adaptor, its hard to say,

You dont say if your using the cards own software to connect or the windows zero config program

I have seen Windows Zero config lose site of wireless networks before and it was a case of remove the profile and remake it, then all was OK, the same is true for the cards own software profiles.

First thing I would do is make sure you have the drivers for the network card and then uninstall it and any software associated with it, then reboot windows and reinstall it.

Let that be a starting point then come back and let us know.

Regards

I have no idea how to make sure you have the drivers for the network card and then uninstall it and any software associated with it, and if I do, I don't know the terminology.

When it comes to wireless routers, there are many potential problems. First, there are sources of EMI (electro-magnitic interference) Examples are the Sun, atmospheric effects (ionization, electrical storms), electro-mechanical appliances/devices (refrigerators, fans, blenders, ... ) Or it could simply be your wireless card is dying, or the router has a problem.

First, see if swapping a new wireless card works. Or try a different router (you mentioned it picked up your neighbour's router!)

I have no idea how to swap a wireless card. As far as the router is concerned, I am using it right now on another computer. I think the card is just disabled for some reason and when I click to enabel it, it says connectin failed.

Is the other computer using a wired or wireless connection to the router?

Also, on your laptop, check the wireless card in Device Manager. If it has a big yellow exclamation mark, there is a problem with it.

Here's how you find Device Manager:

Start -> Control Panel -> System -> Hardware -> Device Manager

Thanks, I was close. Nope, no exclamation points. I did uninstall it already and reinstall it to no avail.

I don't follow. If the wireless card is disabled, how can it pick up the signal?

I think you mean you try to make a connection and it fails. What is the exact error message?

Ok, I am in the network connection folder and it says this:
Wireless Network Connection 2
Disabled
Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200BG..

Normally there would be a red X through the antenna symbol when it is disconnected, but it show the 2 green signal bars protruding.

Next i click 'enable this device' and it says 'enabling'. then it says connection failed and it says disabled still like show above. Thanks for your help by the way.

The fact that the adaptor wont go into an enabled state means that something related to it is failing.

Click Start > Run > eventvwr >OK and see if anything in the eventlog points to the NIC, it is possible that an associated service is failing to start.

Point : I had an inspiron 1300 that had a lot of things in the startup section of the registry, when I disabled them all, something I turned off caused a similar fault,

I did a google on the subject and found that most times the NIC wont enable the answer is to check the switch on the laptop, as you say yours is turned on then i am going for a faulty NIC on the laptop.

Try this,

Turn off the switch for the WIFI and then go into device manager

Now uninstall the network adaptor and use ADD/Remove to uninstall any software related to it.

Turn off the laptop

Turn on the laptop ..DO NOT TURN THE WIRELESS SWITCH ON..

Let windows boot up and let it settle for 5 minutes

Turn off the laptop

Switch on the WIFI switch

Turn the laptop on, if when windows boots up it starts installing the NIC then skip the next part..

When Windows boots up go back into device manager

Now see if your Wireless NIC is shown in Device Manager...

If Windows doesnt reinstall the Wireless NIC and it doesnt show in Device Manager then you have a faulty WIFI NIC and it will need changing.

If Windows Finds the NIC and installs it then remember you will have to set the NIC back up with the correct settings such as SSID and Security settings.

Post back and let us know...

check ip of the laptop by giving the command ipconfig in dos mode if it shows ip then make sure that it matches with ip of the router if it does not show ip then you have to assign the ip manually

When I try to uninstall, the 'confirm device removal' box goes to 'not responding'. It won't let me uninstall it.

Here's a thought. See if you can make a direct connection to your router, that is, wire a connection from your ethernet card to the router port. If that connects then we know it's not to do with anything inside Windows networking and more likely something with the wireless card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back