My Laptop LCD Has "Black Spot", do I need to replace it or can it be corrected?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay Jay

Hello fellow TS'ers :)

Earlier today I was using my HP Omnibook 500 without any problems, but when I fired it up later there was suddenly a large black spot in the corner of the LCD with what looked like a thin line (almost in the shape of a long hair) going through it and right across the display. :dead:

After doing a google search it appears to be the sympton of a dead pixel spot (of course if my diagnosis is incorrect, please tell me) and I'm fearing that the LCD has gone into It's death throes. I suspect there isn't a simple remedy to solve this, so I have already moved onto the stage of seeking a replacement screen

http://fr.pchub.com/uph/laptop/112-14237-1285/Hitachi-TX31D70VC1CAB-12.1-TFT-LCD.html

I came across the above site who stock the unit I need and their prices seem very competitive, but I couldn't find any feedback online about the company to gauge what their quality of service is like before I bite the bullet and make an order.

Has anybody else from here ever dealt with them and if so, was their service good/bad? If anyone can determine the exact nature of the problem with my LCD and the cause, I'd be very grateful - just from a curiosity standpont. However I already realise that whatever the cause, a replacement will be needed... :(

Jay

small black spot usually means that part is DEAD.. test by making the screen totally white..... then turn totally black. the back to white.... many laptops are sold with blackspots in them... at computer shows....

your analysis is correct. Some manufactuers have a dead pixel warranty (usually more than three.) There are companies on the internet that offer LCD replacement kits or will replace/fix your LCD for less than the cost of a new laptop. This is a viable alternative.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back