My Laptop wont boot up anymore, I cant even REFORMAT it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Howard, I have been there already, I dont have a CD Rom Drive for this. I dont think a USB drive would work because this is a laptop.

But I have a choice to boot by network, I also did it with lan, but the problem is that it doesnt work, can you tell me how (if you know)? Please man help me figure this out.

It's going to be hard without a proper boot device in there. Botting over LAN can be tricky.

What's even trickier is trying to reload Windows, or even FIX this, without being able to use a CD.
Is there a way you can plug the HDD to another PC? With a laptop hard drive-to-USB adapter? The adapters are cheap, if it comes to that. Otherwise find a USB CD-ROM and at least see if it works.

Good luck!

I tried getting the boot files into a USB FLash Drive, apparently I deleted the boot files. And well when I use my flash for a boot device it dont work.

An external hard drive would do good, BUT: If the computer does not start, how is he supposed to set USB as a boot device?

Regards,

Korrupt

Only some very new laptops would allow booting to a USB flash drive. Although they may still allow booting to a USB CD-ROM, that's different.
If you can't find one to try, there is really not a whole lot you can do.

Does the boot process get far enough to let you get to the XP boot options? By pressing F8 before Windows attempts to load. If you do get a menu, try the various options.

In my experience, when ntldr is missing, it's usually because the hard drive is going bad. And running a CHKDSK /R /P from Recovery Console can sometimes bring it back.
I don't think you accidentally deleted the boot files, as they are hidden, read-only system files. It would be hard to do it accidentally, in other words. The ntldr missing error is farily generic, and just means that the boot process is fatally screwed. It doesn't ONLY mean that just one or two boot files are gone.
The hard drive could be bad, a virus could have taken Windows out, or any number of other things.
The best bet might be to take the laptop to a shop, they can remove the hard drive and test it. And further see if there are still files on there to retrieve. And so on.

Vigilante said:
Only some very new laptops would allow booting to a USB flash drive. Although they may still allow booting to a USB CD-ROM, that's different.
If you can't find one to try, there is really not a whole lot you can do.

Does the boot process get far enough to let you get to the XP boot options? By pressing F8 before Windows attempts to load. If you do get a menu, try the various options.

In my experience, when ntldr is missing, it's usually because the hard drive is going bad. And running a CHKDSK /R /P from Recovery Console can sometimes bring it back.
I don't think you accidentally deleted the boot files, as they are hidden, read-only system files. It would be hard to do it accidentally, in other words. The ntldr missing error is farily generic, and just means that the boot process is fatally screwed. It doesn't ONLY mean that just one or two boot files are gone.
The hard drive could be bad, a virus could have taken Windows out, or any number of other things.
The best bet might be to take the laptop to a shop, they can remove the hard drive and test it. And further see if there are still files on there to retrieve. And so on.

Yeah I can do f12 for boot screen

and f2 for setup

and also I did deleted them, because I unchecked HIDE PROTECTED SYSTEM FILES, and manually deleted because I hate having HIDDEN Virus files on my computer.

f8 doesnt work, i am looking forward to manually put the BOOT files from my brother in laws computer to the hard drive.
I need more help though:

http://channel9.msdn.com/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=135710
http://www.cablestogo.com/product.a...words!654&keyword=(laptop+hard+drive+adapter)

edit: can someone still help?

That adapter should do the trick, if you want to go through all the trouble, cause otherwise you can't get the files on there!
Do you have even a floppy boot? Cause the boot files may be small enough to work that way.

That link doesn't seem to work right now, I couldn't see it.

But you would have to open up your laptop. However, it's not as hard as it seems. Most all laptops I've seen make the hard drive VERY easy to remove. Usually just one screw, and it slides right out. Then you attach the adapter, plug the USB into another computer, and it will access your drive just the same as if you had plugged in a thumb drive or memory card.

If needs be, sometimes there is a cage, of sorts, on the hard drive, which is just a few more screws. It's really not that big of a deal.

Because otherwise, there is no magic way to get files onto the HDD, you have NO boot options accept booting over the network, which I've never done before, so I couldn't say if it's easier or harder then just buying an adapter.

If you give your Toshiba model number, we can probably find a picture or get instructions on how to get the hard drive out.

This is one we use at work:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16812156015

They work most of the time. But really, it sounds like the only way.
Also, rather then get JUST an adapter, you could also get most any 2.5" hard drive "enclosure". One of the adapters we use at work, the most, was taken out of an enclosure.
But whatever works I guess.

Good luck!

Yes Vigilante, the hard drive i really easy to remove. But I dont know if that adapter works, it doesnt look like it fits on my 2.5 inch hard drive.

And what exactly are 2.5 enclosure drives?

and also, i looked at the pictures, but they dont seem to have the right shape to plug in my 2.5 drive. And also, have you tried using a primary laptop harddrive on that adapter?

the problem is that my hard drive looks like it doesnt fit any adapter because it might be a Toshiba only 2.5 inch drive.

Important Update - Vigiliante, I just ordered the CHEAPER and SIMPLER adapter that you suggested to me.

I also discovered that there was an adapter for the Toshiba HDD so that it can fit in Toshiba Laptop. This adapter can be removed so the HDD can connect to your adapters.

But I remember deleting ALL system files in main folder, what do I do then?

Thankyou Vigilante and everyone else for the suggestions.

Vigilante, you saved my 1800 dollar computer and saved me 80 bucks. I almost bought the more expensive adapters. My laptop works now, Thankyou, you are an angel. This topic can be closed now Yay.

Wow, I'm glad you got up again!

Now, to make sure all your system files are in tact, you can run the system file checker utility.

You click Start->Run and type SFC /scannow.

However, it may ask for your CD :)

But otherwise, good news. And thanks for posting your result, most people just leave when the problem is fixed and don't finish the thread.

Well, in any case, good luck with it!

If you should get back into Windows, it may be a good time to install a USB CD-ROM drive and copy over the XP setup files (i386 folder mainly) so that you can run tools like system file checker.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back