My Network (8 computers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Everyone

I’m a newbie within the IS/IT industry. I have eight computers that are ready for networking. On my console I will be using (window 2000 advance Server) (net working operating system) NOS. I have a net gear cable/DSL Web safe router model RP114 four ports and a net gear 5 port Fast Ethernet Switch FS105. At the console I started the DC promo to add the Active Directory and DNS. At a point within the add-on I got a prompt asking for my Domain Name. I don’t want to be compelled into a name at this point; however, my objectives are to:

1. Have 8 computers on my network, using 2000 advance Server as my NOS.
2. Be able to connect to the internet at each workstation.
3. Do I need to purchase a Domain name to add “Active Directory” and “DNS?
4. If not, what is the process?
5. Where should I add the net gear 5 port Fast Ethernet Switch FS105 device on the network?

And if this information is needed on the other computers/servers will have 98, 2000 pro and or XP as their operating systems.
Amir

The domain name Active Directory is asking has nothing to do with domain names on the internet. It is just a name you can give to your group of computers and how your computers know they belong to that group.

You don't need Active Directory or any of that Microsoft mumbo jumbo to share the internet connection and files between the computers. Ignore all this domain stuff, set all computers to belong to the same workgroup (so you can share files between computers). Your router can take care of sharing the internet connection.

Plug the switch to one of your router's local ports.
BTW my finger counting shows that you don't have enough ports in your switches to hold 8 computers.

Nodsu, he has one Router with 4 ports (for 3 PCs and 1 switch) and this Switch with 5 ports for 5 PCs. Makes 8 PCs total, right?
(Or have you been woodworking lately?)

A switch with 5 ports, 1 port goes to the other switch(router), leaving 4 free. 4+3=7.

Thank you for the information, but I am wondering why I rec'd that message? Also, I'm trying this new technology inreplace of a NIC I'm using a compact USB 10/100mbps fast ethernet adapter. Any comments on this adapter?

1 router has 4 ports, 1 to switch, 3 free.

switch has 5 connections for computers, and an uplink. leaves 5 for computers.

3+5=8

(This assumes the switch pl**** into the router, and has an uplink port in addition to the 5 jacks. Or, my linksys router has an uplink port in addition to the 4 ports, I think. 6 ports total, one for the WAN (modem), 4 for computers, 1 labled "uplink".)

Originally posted by Amir46
oh btw, I want to use the active directory and DNS for security reasons on my network.

And how do these improve the security? Will the 8 hosts be considered "hostile" so you need to set up domain logins?

Domain based authentication makes user management easier though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back