My new monitor will not load with windows xp. please help!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was given a new monitor from a friend b/c mine went kerplunk, and I unplugged the old, plugged in the new and it worked... temorarily. When the power went out... I had already gotten rid of my old monitor... my computer will no longer read the new monitor. Please help. How do I make the monitor work? I do not have a driver disk. I know NOTHING about computers.

Thank you!!!! :confused:

Can you provide more information?
What do you mean the new monitor worked temporarily and your statement that "the power went out?" What happens when you turn on the computer? Does anything at all show up on the monitor? Also, how did your old monitor fail?

Well, my old monitor had been dropped in a move and so the picture would not fill the screen and when it was dropped, the button that moved the picture was damaged, making it impossible to change the screen size, etc.

Then, a friend gave me a monitor, I plugged it in, it worked so I threw my old one away. I never rebooted my computer computer though. Then, during a storm, we lost power and when I tried to restart my computer, the initial screen comes up and it shows the loading bar, but when the loading bar is complete, the screen goes black. The power is working still to the monitor, and the computer is completely loaded, but nothing is on the screen.

Do you have any advice?

Try rebooting in Safe Mode. Press the F8 function key before Windows starts to load and select the Safe Mode option. Seems to me that your monitor is okay, since it works up until Windows gets to the desktop. btw, what is your operating system? XP, w2K?

I'm guessing your video drivers/configuration may be messed up. If you get into Safe Mode, modify your display resolution to VGA and 256 colors and try to reboot normally. If that works, then change your to (probably) 1024x768 and 16-bit color (to be safe).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back