My PC Is Incredibly Loud!

Status
Not open for further replies.
im trying to figure out why my computer is so incredibly loud.
i have a hell of a system, but I have never in my life heard a computer tower that is as loud as mine.
my pc is in my bedroom and its almost hard to sleep at night because of the noise coming from it.
the noise seems to be coming from either the fans or the power supply, though I just bought a brand new PSU a few months ago because my old one somehow got fried.
Anyone have any ideas as to why its so freakin loud??
I do have 2 fans on my power supply.....2 fans on the back of the tower.....a fan on the side of the tower in the middle of the window, and 2 more fans at the front of the tower on the bottom.
there is also a monstrous fan on top of my processor.
i did notice a few days ago that my processor fan is incredibly dirty, as a matter of fact all the fans in my tower probably are, ive never cleaned them since I built the computer about 3 years ago.
would dust buildup on my fans cause them to make that much excess noise??

can someone please give me their opinion of ideas to try, id love to get this fixed cause I have enough trouble sleeping at night with the way my girlfriend tosses and turns all night, without help from a computer that sounds like a harrier jet engine =)

Yes i would suggest cleaning your fans on your pc as this could be the case for some of or all the noise the noise.

My pc also started making loud noises so i cleaned the fans now the noises are gone.

If that does not work i would suggest trying the fans on their own and seeing if they are noisey(Worth a try)

Deffiently clean the huge proccesor fan.

Good Luck

Baltan

The 2 main reasons for excessive fan noise are..
1 - Dust, a good clean out could well fix the problem.
2 - A worn out fan bearing, its usually best to replace then noisy fan.

P.S. If dust is the problem, my preferred method is a cheap paintbrush that has never been used for anything else of course.

rik said:
The 2 main reasons for excessive fan noise are..
1 - Dust, a good clean out could well fix the problem.
2 - A worn out fan bearing, its usually best to replace then noisy fan.

P.S. If dust is the problem, my preferred method is a cheap paintbrush that has never been used for anything else of course.

I agree always replace a worn out fan or all hell could break loose.

lol.. you guys are funny... :)
yeh i agree.. give it a good clean out with some compressed air..

other tricks you may consider:
replace those 80mm fans with 120mm where possible
replace them with some smart fans (temprature auto controled/switch controled)
get 12v>7v cables for the fans
get a fan controler pannel

for the extremes: watercooling, passive cooling...

ideas when one gets money and time lined up... but i rekon dusting will do the trick..

in total you have 8 fans! sheesh! Besides your CPU and PU fans, how are the other 5 set up?

If they are all installed as exhaust fans then that will cause alot of noise as well because there will be too much suction and the fans will fight each other. When this happens they will get very loud, especially if they are caked with dust.

IMO it's not worth cleaning them after 3 years of dust buildup... just buy a couple new ones. case fans are probably the cheapest component in your case to replace

there is no need to have 5 case fans, however if you insist on having this many, then you should make the 2 fans on the front of your case intake fans

Clean your HSF aluminum fins (remove the HSF and blow the dust out with compressed air or remove the fan and vacuum the fins from the top) which will run your CPU cooler (and depending on your CPU/MOBO it will run the CPU fan slower if enabled).

Just to add to that, ive got 10 fans and have just replaced 2 for less than £5.

I have just upgraded my system, i havent put the casing or front panel back on yet, and its sooooo quiet i can hardly hear it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back