My PCI-e card, will it work in an AGP 8x slot?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey out there, before I go out and buy a new motherboard(AGAIN) will my e-geforce 7300gt pci-e card work in my AGP 8xslot, if so is it worth doing or should I go out and get a PCI-e ready motherboard?

I'm new ish to tech talk about comps, i just build them with help from my professional buddies, so bare with me!!

Nope, completely different and incompatible slots. Can you exchange your vid card for an agp version? If not, then you will need a new mobo.

Good to know!

thanks for the info, i'm quite new to this PCI-e, i've heard that it isn't necessarily better than AGP 8x, so i'm wondering if I should just return this card and get an AGP version rather than go crazy revamping my comp.

However the only on it is games so It's no big deal to blow it away and start over, just want to really determine which format is better.

I mostly play H.life 2, COD 2 and of course any new games that are similar so the best possible computer is my goal.

There are differences between PCI-e and AGP. AGP bottlenecks at the bus whereas PCI-e is much faster providing better frame rates with less stuttering.

pci-e versus agp

So in general they are very similar but pci-e fouls up in a better way!?

Sounds like I should try to find a new board and start from scratch with a pci-e card.

I have 3.0gig P4D
1gig ddr2 ram
and of course the e-geforce 7300gt;

you think i'd have better luck with a pci-e card, i'm willing to try it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back