My power supplies keep blowing

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a dell in the back of the house that has blown 2 power supplies this month the pc before it was a compact that worked fine for three years.I have a hp in the dining room that blew 4 power supplies in one month I bought a atx 450 power supplie for it two months ago and started unpluging it at night I have not had a problem with it for two months now.ps the one up front was only blowing when I turned the pc on before I started unplugging at night.

It might be worthwhile to invest in a good battery backup. Power surges only protect against power spikes, but not brown outs or other types of irregular voltage.

even though I severely doubt this is the case... make sure the power supplies don't have a switch on the back that's set to 220, make sure it's 110.

some psus dont like being "jolted" all the time. all atx 2.0 or higher compliant psu's use "soft off" mode instead of "power off". the difference: the mainboard and psu are still getting +5VSB at about 2 or 3 amps. when you black out or unplug it all the time, the psu may start to flake. avoid unplugging at all costs, the mainboard "adapts" to that voltage after a while, this is why many experience mainboard and psu failiure when swapping the psu out for a new one.

If the power supply keeps going out it has to be for some reason other than the power supply. Sometimes when a power supply goes bad it destroys other parts like the motherboard and the CPU as well. You may want to try a new motherboard. Just dont buy a DEER Power supply, Antec is a lot better.

99% of all power supplies are NOT blown when your computer does not start.
1. unplug the power cord
2. switch the power switch 115/230 back and forth 2 or 3 times.
3. return the switch to the proper voltage position
4. plug the power cord backin.
5. turn on the computer...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back