my sister keeps stealing my bandwith!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great forum guys, which is why im here, and i want to know why my sister is constantly running limewire and downloading Justin Timberlake songs stealing my connection! :(

Basically we are both on laptops running wirelessly thru a netgear router, and im trying to play Counterstrike source, and then she loads up Limewire and FFS my ping dies as does my score and arghhhhhhhhhh! I notice that alot of the time she is uploading through limewire, which is worse for my connection. Im on a 1mbps broadband. Is there anyway i can manually limit her bandwith, like set max download/upload rates for her laptop? Thx guys :)

why she downloads justin timberlake? Go ask her! Poor taste I would guess!

If she is using your bandwidth and you're paying for it, then ask her to contribute to the cost, or encrypt your path!

no my parents are paying for our bandwith, i just want to know whether there is a way to limit her upload/download speeds for her laptop because it seems she has some justin timberlake or some ashtun ketchup video on download 24.7.

there are several commercial programs that allow you to do this. Unfortunately, I know of none that are free.

if you have admin rights to the router
it may have a setup to stop her connection for a period of time that you set
she can still access mail
if she has access to router this will not help
I use a linksys vpn router and can set up times for any day of the week
for any network ip address
the software out there none free thatI know of most cost a lot meant for IT admin
SoftPerfect Bandwidth Manager

play nice and share that bandwidth your parents should be setting up rules
so everyone can get some kind of equal time like the work for bandwidth rules

Have you actually tried "talking"? Usually one can set schedules and speed limits in downloading programs. Screwing people over even before trying to settle matters normally is not a good idea.

As Samstoned said, some routers have QoS features, letting you limit bandwidth on per-machine basis. All routers support packet filtering, so you could just plain block access to common Limewire ports too.

bonez said:
no my parents are paying for our bandwith,...
That would indicate it is not YOUR bandwidth and that it is not being STOLEN.

Perhaps you could explain to your parents how much more important your game-playing is than her listening to music/videos. I'm sure they'll understand.

XenaWP said:

Perhaps you could explain to your parents how much more important your game-playing is than her listening to music/videos. I'm sure they'll understand.
Or, you could explain to your parents that you playing games is perfectly legal while her pirating justin timberlake songs is not legal. :p My router has a ton of settings that I can use for blocking people, the one I use is the mac filter. If you have access your router (i think most of them are 192.168.0.1, am i wrong experts? Just type it in) you can check the settings, look for mac filters and enable them. If its like mine it'll tell you the mac addresses of the computers connected and the name of the computer and you can either add them to an allow only list or a block list. Ofcourse, I don't suggest doing anything behind your parents back, but if I had a sister using up all the bandwidth thats what I'd do. ;)

XenaWP said:

Hey dude why u bein so hostile and unfriendly to a newbie? for god sakes.. thx to others for the replies.. ive come to the conclusion that the only solution to this problem is to beat her up.

bonez said:
Hey dude why u bein so hostile and unfriendly to a newbie? for god sakes.. thx to others for the replies.. ive come to the conclusion that the only solution to this problem is to beat her up.
Not hostile. Just considering her point of view. There is always more than one side to a story, don't you know?

There are 3 sides to the story. His side, her side, and the truth :)

This thread was in my subscribed threads even though I didn't post here, except this one which is after the fact.

I agree about one thing, you are doing legal things, she is likely heavily infesting herself with viruses and illegal files.

There is only ONE thing to do......................tell the parents to buy a faster package :)

you forgot to add, if she IS downloading illegal files, your parents can be held liable.

Also her viri and trojan horses can also affect your system or account as well.

So it's best that she not use peer to peer software at all.

Peer to peer software or p2p like limewire is software that allows people to put files on the net and allows other people to download them with virus etc. If you live in America, the minimal punishment for illeagl music downloading is 5-6 years in prision and $250,000,000 fine. Your parents will be heild liable. Show your parents this form so they can see.

The connection is yours after this :) :)

ok I like this thread! it makes me laugh and remember me how good is not to have any brothers or sisters (whole bandwith for myself ). I know how p2p software are, limeware, bearshare, etc they suck all the bandhwith available, if you use this software and just try to open a website you can sure go for a snack in the meanwhile. About your problem, let's be honest, is there a chance that you can talk to your sister? if is that so, you can arrange schedules, I'm sure she doesn't need to be uploading for so long, if she's not using it then tell her to disconnect, if that doesn't work then talk to your parents, they should be able to stablish the rules or the settings on the router with password and administrator account, so none of you will be able to modify the restrictions and that will be fair and square in my opinion. Good Luck and have fun! :wave:

No, these programs do not suck all the bandwidth, it is the clueless users who suck :p

If one just bothered to set the speed limits in the program settings, there would be no problems.

CrossFire851 said:
If you live in America, the minimal punishment for illeagl music downloading is 5-6 years in prision and $250,000,000 fine. Your parents will be heild liable. Show your parents this form so they can see.

The connection is yours after this :) :)

Whoa! They dont even fine that much for alot of corporate fraudsters in America. Would that be in all states?

hahahaha!!! ok you got a point I'm too lazy to setup limits, it's easier to just close it when I want to check a website or something, but hey that's another choise for him, if she don't mind to get her laptop tweaked then he can set these options and she'll keep downloading and he'll keep playing and everybody happy, this webpage is getting slow oh no i forgot to close limeware from the systray!!! hahahaha

Tedster said:
you forgot to add, if she IS downloading illegal files, your parents can be held liable.

Also her viri and trojan horses can also affect your system or account as well.

So it's best that she not use peer to peer software at all.

If she downloaded Justin Timberlake from limewire then she IS pirating. Unless limewire has added some new option where you can legally purchase songs, but I've never seen that option before in limewire. So, she is downloading files illegally, although who hasn't.

Who are you wth'ing?

T'cool's last comment was: "So, she is downloading files illegally, although who hasn't."

I said "some of us don't. Never have. Never will.

Is that more clear?

I say 99% of Internet-connected people have obtained a song or two illegally, through one form or another. If you think really hard, you'll probably find that you have a song that you didn't buy. If not, then you are a tiny minority. lol

I personaly don't like P2P software, the concept is cool, but obviously abused. I like my Real Rhapsody. $10 a month and I get all the songs I want to listen to, wherever I am.

Now this really is off topic.

bonez. Since it`s your parents that pay for the internet, it`s them you should speak to.

I do understand your concerns, but I can`t see where we can do anything to help you on this one.

It seems to me this a matter for your family to sort out.

With that in mind, I`m closing this thread, as I think it`s gone about as far as it should.

Regards Howard :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back