My speakers wont freicken work help me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luis_figoismad

i recently restarted my windows xp and now my speakers dont work. ive got an idea why but i need a real reason why and need to know how to fix it

Welcome to Techspot! Milk it for all it's worth!

Well, hmm, speakers......

I suppose the easiest thing to do is try another pair of speakers, or headphones, to see if the computer still has audio output.
Then you can try your speakers on another working PC to see if they still have output.

Once you find out if it's your speakers, OR computer, we can go from there. And if it's your speakers, and unless you have super-expensive speakers, better just replace them.

i might have a solution

to c if its not ur speakers u need to go to start and right click my computer and select manage, then then expand event veiwer and see if u have any red exclamation points under the system catogory and if so write down the event id number and google it to see what it means but it would help if it has the corresponding date in time.
hopefully its just an error and not hardware failure

the headphones dont work on the computer either. and when i click on a music file it opens windows media player . then this thing comes up and says (Windows Media Player cannot play the file because there is a problem with your sound device. There may not be a sound device installed on your computer, it may be in use by another program, or it may not be functioning properly.)

OK, sounds like a device problem to me :)

Right-click My Computer, choose properties. Go to hardware tab and then click Device Manager button.
Expand the heading for "Sound video and game controllers". List what is in there.
Also not any exclamation points, red 'X' or question marks in the entire list. Look for "Unknown device" as well. List all those.

Chance are good some part of your audio device is disabled, has an error, or some other madness.
If you see an entry for your sound card, try uninstalling it and then restart Windows to let it load again.

good luck

it says everything is fine nothing is disabled.these are the names of the devices. audio codecs, legacy audio drivers,legacy video capture devices, media control devices, unimodem half-duplex audio device, and video codecs. what do i do now? what do i uninstall.?

I don't really see your sound card in there at all! Normally you would see something from Realtek, or Sound Blaster, or Turtle Beach, or something with "AC'97" in the name. But I don't see any sound drivers if that is your whole list. Hmmm

Do you have a sound card, as in PCI, or is it onboard? If you're not sure, look at the back of your case where the speaker plugs are. Are they on a horizontal card about middle of the case or lower? Or is in up higher where the rest of the plugs are? That is onboard. PCI is down lower in a sloted area.

If you have a card, I would open the case and make sure it's still plugged in tight. If you have onboard, I would go in the BIOS and make sure it didn't get turned off some how.
If it's a card, you could turn the PC off and move it to another slot.

Once you checked the physical stuff and BIOS. Go back in Windows and run the add new hardware wizard to see if it finds your card. That is, if Windows doesn't automatically find it after you changed things.

Lastly, sound cards CAN just die, it's not impossible. So maybe if all else fails you can find a used sound card at a local shop, or buy a cheap sound card. Shouldn't cost more then $25 for a cheap sound card, see if that works.

Good luck.

Did you check the things I mentioned?
Do you have onboard or PCI sound card?
Did you run add/new hardware wizard in control panel?

Can you go get a cheap sound card and install it in case yours is dead?

2 problems

first of all i dont even know what a sound card looks like.

on the add hardware wizard, when i clicked on the multimedia audio controller which had a question mark as an icon, it said the drivers of the device werent installed. what does this mean

Sounds like a driver problem, but if you don't know the model and make of the sound card we can't help.

What is the make and model of your computer?

Fraid not, but PB are pretty old systems!

Let's see if this helps, download the Unknown Device Identifier (http://www.zhangduo.com/UnknownDeviceIdentifier.exe)

Run it (of course), and look through the list for your audio device. It should have a label that is pretty self-explanatory. Such as "audio" or "sound" or even "multimedia". When you click the + sign to drop down the category, it will give some more info. It may directly give you the model of it. Or else look at the PnP info, you will see two entries for VEN and DEV. It may look something like "VEN_10DE&DEV_01EE" for example. If you see that number, and/or the model, and/or ANY info about an audio card, post that here and we may be able to track down a driver.

And what version of Windows do you have again? 98? 98SE? XP? To find out, right-click My Computer and choose Properties, it should say right at the top area.

Good luck! (if you need screen shots of using that program, I'll make some)

it says many names like "SiS7012 sound codec" which is the name of the chip. and under "PnplD" it says VEN_1039&DEV_7012&SUBSYS_200B1631&REV_AO

what does that mean

It means you have a SiS7012 audio card.

Go here: http://www.sis.com/download/

Click XP in the left column.
Click Audio Driver in the middle column.
Click SiS7012 in the right and click GO.

Follow the steps to download the driver. Hopefully that will do the trick.

The VEN is the Vendor ID and the DEV is the device ID. A 4 digit (hex I think) number that identifies unique vendors and devices.
Yours is Vendor 1039, which is SiS, of course. And device ID 7012, which just happens to correspond to the 7012 chip designation.

Hope that helps.

I assume you have that file downloaded.
And when you run it, what happens? Does it just start the install process, or does it extract to a folder somewhere?

Let me assume the files extract to a folder. Find out where that folder is. Next go into Device Manager (right-click My Computer -> Properties -> Hardware tab -> Device Manager). Somewhere in that list you will probably see "unknown device" or perhaps you will see your sound card with a exclamation point on the entry, or a question mark or something.

In any case, find your audio entry, and it will probably be messed up in some way. Double-click that entry and go to the driver tab. Click Update Driver, then in that wizard, point it to the directory where you extracted the audio card driver. XP hopefully will then automatically find the driver and load it.

---------------

If there is no folder with extracted files, and the download simply starts installing; then what is it actually doing? Any errors? What's going on?
Also, go in Device Manager and tell us the status of any entries that are specially marked, or unknown.

no.all it does is when its installing half way through the installation process a box comes up that says 12345 or sumthing and then it stops.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back