My Windows 98 Pcs cant retrieve user lists from win2k server

Status
Not open for further replies.

yukka

Ok guys this ones a biggie. My network (the one im looking after today anyway) runs Windows 2000 Server and has Windows 98 workstations.

I cannot share resources on the Windows 98 Pcs because it asks for me to select users to be able to access, then comes up with the dialog "You cannot view the list of users at this time. Please try again later."

This happens both when I try to share the Printer or Drive on the local PC, or when i try to access the drives or printer from the network.

Apparently "This behavior occurs because the Windows 2000-based server returns incomplete information about the number of user and group accounts.".

This knowledgebase article has information about it, but seems to want me to spend money getting the information from Microsoft. Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Microsoft 283032 Support Page

ps. surely if Windows returns incomplete information, thats a product flaw and i should be able to receive the information under the trading standards laws, or something like that. :p

Its usually always best to upgrade your Windows 2000 and XP installations to the latest service packs.

a colleague contacted microsoft and was sent a hotfix for windows 9x that is meant to fix the problem. the server was already using the latest service packs.

i'll let you know how it went, thanks for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back