My Wireless Network Is Failing All The Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

LuK3

Hi everyone, I was wondering if anyone can help me with my internet connection, I have a Linksys Wireless connection from a PC that has full wire installation. My problem is - since I got it (christmas 2005) All I have had is the internet cut out. Some days it cuts out for 3 seconds and re connects (short burst) this would happen once every 15 minutes and some nights it will cut out so regular that it will cut out before msn messenger signs in :(

It used to be unsecured but we changed it to WPA2 whatever that means :p and now its cutting out more regular and taking up to 5 whole minutes to re - connect, it is terrible and really annoying (as you can imagen)
I need to know what is wrong (really folks ;)) because this shouldnt be happening, security or no security it keeps messing up and i have no viruses on my pc (thanks hopkinso)
The connection speed is never over 54.0mbps it is usually 11.0mbps or 23.0mbps and it is ALWAYS very low or low never good or excellent and it is only downstairs (4 metres away) if that - it is also very annoying when a good score is demolished by a re - connection screen when it cuts out on a multiplayer online game. I have a firewall and nothing is stopping it as far as i know.

Please guys help me out here. I have even had troubles posting this - this place is great and i am sure you will help me ;) :)

All the Best LuK3... (Sorry for it being to long)

802.11g Wireless PCI Card (this is also a router :))<===== if that is any help

damn sorry guys - this should of gone in Networking damn

I had a similar problem when I had a Linksys router (WRT54G - I think). Linksys tech support was NO help. I share a connection with my sister ( she and the router are upstairs while I am downstairs in the basement). They said that it was because routers aren't designed to penetrate wood, and that I would need to purchase a high-gain antenna to boost the signal. Minee continuosly degraded until I just took it back and got my money back. We got a new wireless router from Bellsouth (2wire) and haven't had any problems. My brother-in-law stands by both the Dlink and the Netgear wireless routers.

Good luck!

I used to have a Linksys router and agree with the above two posts, i continuously had disconnection problems for no reason, their technical support on both phone and online was terrible. Took it back, and dont regret it :) And in reference to the post above, netgear make excellent routers, many of my friends have them and we LAN game against each other a lot, never had any problems.

Have you attempted any troubleshooting Luk3? If so, what are they?

Incase you havent, or maybe to give you some ideas:
Environment
-Moved metalic/radio/EMF/Chordless teles/CD stacks/audio/etc devices and objects away from the router and reciever machine?
-Tried to test connection with direct line of sight/same room/close proximity?
-checked the antenna is screwed on properly?
-Reset the router?
-Cabled ethernet access to the router ok?
-Any other machines have trouble with the wifi?
-Connected the pc directly to the modem ethernet and is ok?

Software
-Firmware updated?
-Connection settings ok?
-Filtering turned on?
-Security settings/passwords/encryption all same?
-Tried giving the machines static IP addresses?

If you want to see a long post, head down to the "Guides and solved issues" section...... :D

As N3051M noted above: You need updated firmware; you really do. The router is crap without it.

I experienced the exact same problems that you describe, until I decided to update the firmware; figured I might as well do that before I dumped the device. It has been working great ever since!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back