My Xbox Live(Router Problem)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well in by the time i get done with this it will be my bday (August 6th) alright well for my problem ive spent over 5 hours tryin to figure this out.

OK i got a cable/dsl linksys router i have the phone line in the modem modem into router comp into router and xbox into router i know its connected right but when i go to run xbox live it says dns test failed and i cant get on the internet when im plugged into the router so can someone plz help me i called xbox live gave me some port numbers to unlock which i have if needed. They said call linksys so i did they made me do a couple worthless ping tests which none of them were recived ex: 4 sent 0 received 4 dropped (100%drop) she said the router is faulty which i think is wrong. its brand new and i think i need to adjust setting or somin then called verizon my internet provider and they made me do bunch of stuff about an hours worth and told me that the internet connection works but the router is messed up well dur i knew that. i can get on the internet if the router not in so dsl to modem modem to comp
thx in advance plz help dont want to have to call the local GEEK SQUAD and pay over 100 bucks
-Kyle

0Aiden0 said:
dont want to pay for help-Kyle

Cant fault ya there who wants to pay for help when its free everywhere.

I used Xbox live for a while and did have a few issues with getting it connected, I found that setting the IP details manually worked all the time, for some reason using the DHCP settings failed with the same DNS error you get, to fix it try this

Go into the router setup and see what DNS it's using, to do this follow your router instructions for how to access it, I think with Linksys you enter 192.168.1.1 in a webpage.

Once you know the DNS you need to obtain the IP range the router uses this again can be found by doing start > run > cmd enter, in the dos box type ipconfig on your PC.

Your pc may be set to 192.168.1.2, if no other PC's are linked to the router, but this isn't set in stone, so check.

This will also give you the default gateway which should be the router address.

Now go to your Xbox and enter the details you have into the network settings by choosing manual entry, the IP address must be in the same range as the PC I usually go 10 more so if your PC is 192.168.1.2 then use 192.168.1.12, once done save and exit the network settings.

Plug your Lan cable into the Xbox and power it on, you should get a light on the port of the router once the Xbox is fully on.

Play Live....

Thx ill try it but i had one other problem i couldnt get the internet running when it was plugged into the router ex:dsl to modem, modem to router, and comp to router. even without xbox i couldnt get internet

comon guyz plz help tryin to get xbox live for my bday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back