My XP is very slow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

abhinit90

I have a p4 529 2.93 Ghz with 1gb ram and windows xp home.

when i first purchased my system at the screen just after the bios when microsoft xp is diplayed with the lights going and going the screen would exit when the lights would have travelled 4 times but now it takes a whopping 10 !!! times.

how to improve it.

My system is 8 months old.

i have used all kinds of software to clean the junk like Ccleaner and advanced windows care and my meagre 80 Gb hard-disk has 4 partitions of ~20 Gb each.

My hard-disk is completely defragmented.

plz help.

Waiting for your reply.

-----Abhinit

Everything that Windows has to load (drivers, etc) to support whatever you have enabled to start slows down the boot.

Click 'Start', 'All Programs', 'Startup' and see what's there.

Anything you can live with manually starting?

Click 'Start', 'Run', type 'msconfig' and press enter and look under 'Services'. put a 'check' mark in the 'Hide All Microsoft Services' box; again, anything there you can manually load when you want the service?

Anything you want to NOT start automatically, write down and find the program and set its' options NOT to autostart.

Do a reformat and reinstall... then immediately after setting up a connection, allow Windows Update at www.microsoft.com to fully update Windows, DirectX, Windows Defender, and Media Player... Then reinstall your other software.

my whole system is fully updtaed and i have all the software except the antivirus and the firewall along with neccessary contents disabled

If your comp runs fast enough for you AFTER it boots, then the hold-up is in bios settings.

Sometimes you can tweak things there - read your manual and see.

:)

And you have completed a reformat and reinstall?
And update on an old install doesn't mean much if you are having troubles.

Can you tell me how many processes you are running, as well CPU/PageFile usage? Also, you may have to find a registry cleaner (if you havent done so already), because lots of malware likes to hide there and re-enable itself, even after you delete the files.

the Main problem is that my coomputer is pretty normal when it starts up but it taks a lot of time when just after the boot screen the xp lights move.

the whole time between pressing the startup button and when the desktop appears is about 60 second

It might be your Registry. Whenever you install any new programs etc the system records registry entries. These can become invalid and bog up your pc. Try Registry Booster and Registry Mechanic, theres a tiny chance they can ruin your system but these programs are top notch. They only delete a small number under free lease but there other programs like these which delete all the entries they get when they scan your pc.

Click start...run....msconfig.....select...selective statup....uncheck load startup items....Click ok..then exit with restart....see if your bootup improves...Also over time XP does get slower to bootup. If that doesn't work then it could be a driver problem. Maybe update your motherboard drivers or if all else fails do like RayBay said and reformat your computer and do a fresh install. If you have a recovery CD with your computer it is a fairly easy process. Keep in mind to backup what you need off onto cd's or whatever.

I had the same "problem". My system needed about 22 seconds to boot up from pressing the power button to the fully loaded system, so I tried BootVis.exe and the time went down to 17 secs. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back