Mysterious Sound Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't get any sound output from certain applications.

-I don't get any Window XP OS sound prompts. The Sound Scheme doesn't give any sound output.
-I don't get any sound When playing online media that uses Adobe Flash Player.

However...
-.mp3 files, and the like, do work; I get sound output.
-Streaming video that uses Windows Media Player does give sound output.

Specs:
Windows XP Professional (SP2 installed)
200 GB Maxtor 6L200M0 HD
P4M800PRO-M Motherboard by ECS Elitegroup
Intel Pentium CPU 2.80GHz
2.79 GHz, 1.00 GB RAM

My sound card is part of my motherboard; it's a Realtek AC'97 Audio for VIA Audio COntroller. I assumed it was the problem, so I went out and installed another sound card (Diamond Multimedia XS 7.1); but despite the change, my sound problem still stayed the same. I've uninstalled the new soundcard, and I'm back to square one.

So any suggestions would be EXTREMELY helpful and appreciated.

-PartySized

No, it can't be the speakers. I've connected my computer to my Aiwa stereo system (pretty good setup, I think), and the output from that is perfect.

The problem lays somewhere in my computer. I don't know if it is the sound card or what. I do get sound output, just not sound output from every application.

I've had problems with Via chipsets and AC97 drivers. Have you tried the drivers direct from Realtek and not the Via driver?

Go into Control panel, click on 'Sound and Audio Devices', then click on 'Audio'.

What is listed as default device for 'Sound Playback' ?

Now click on 'Sounds' and in the display window at the bottom. select one of the entries with a speaker symbol - a .wav file should display - click the test arrow to the right.

Results?

"Go into Control panel, click on 'Sound and Audio Devices', then click on 'Audio'.

What is listed as default device for 'Sound Playback' ?"

Don't be shy. Answer the question.

:)

So, now, in that same Sounds and Audio devices window go to Hardware and look for a Realtek High Definition Audio.

If it is there, click on it and select properties, driver and uppdate.

Let Windows search if you don't have the drivers in a file somewhere or insert the driver disk for your mobo and tell windows to go there if you have it.

Drivers available through here I believe:

https://www.techspot.com/drivers/driver/file/information/6739/ecs-p4m800pro-m10-bios-051210/

Swing over to Windows Explorer, tools, folder options, file types and scroll down to 'wav' - what program is supposed to play the wav files?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back