mystery error message

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shrdlu

Several times a session of browsing, the page stops opening mid-way and I get a small box with this message: "A runtime error has occurred. Do you wish to debug? Line: 367 Error: Unterminated string constant" If I choose "yes", it opens a "de-bugging" program (quotes to indicate I don't know the use of this program). If I choose "no", it continues to load the page, although sometimes it pops up several times, and needs to be dispelled each time before I can continue. Any idea why this happens? Can I do anything about it? Does it point to a larger problem I should do something about? Thanks for your time! Shrdlu

Does it only occur on certain webpages/website, or using a particular browser? Try reinstalling/repairing your browser, or updating to the latest version.

It happens alot when I'm accessing my Yahoo mailbox for some reason, but it happens with other websites, too. Any idea what the meaning of this message is? Thanks for your suggestions. Shrdlu

Disable script debugging and you won't be bothered with having to worry about it. This, for the most part is crappy coding on the part of the site you are at, or ads upon those pages.

In IE: Go to Tools>Internet Options>Advanced tab>check "Disable Script Debugging"

It is a problem with the code used to build the site. Just disable script debugging, as well as "notify me when an error occurs"

That should take care of your problem.

Stormbringer...poertner....you rock. And I found out upon research that this message is the result of omitting "" quote marks at the appropriate lines in java script! Lazy coders. Thanks again, guys! Shrdlu

In IE: Go to Tools>Internet Options>Advanced tab>check "Disable Script Debugging"
I'm posting this to let you guys know how much TechSpot helped me. I had to reinstall XP, after screwing up the registry, while trying some tips on a tweak guide, my computer wouldn't boot up. After the reinstall, I started to get "Runtime Error" on a lot of sites with IE, but not with Opera. I did not find an answer at Windows knowledge base. Should have looked here first.

Anyway, got my problem fixed. Thanks again guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back