Mystery of the Bios Update Peripheral Power Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plague

I figured an interesting title would draw more responces.

Anyways, here's the issue.

I recently updated my bios software to the latest edition via MSI's live driver update. Everything seemed to work fine except at reboot there was a CMOS error. No problem, I just reset all the bios options using default optimised, and then manualy toggling what I need and not. But that isn't the problem. The problem is that now.. upon powering down the system, the keyboard lights (numlock, F-lock) and the mouse's LED's and movement detection lights remain lit. It required me to shut off the power supply and wait a minute before it goes off. This problem started immediatly after the bios update. I've disabled all power suspension and wake features. What is causing this and how can it be rectified?

Pc specs:
MSI K8T Neo2 (K8T800 chipset)
Athlon 64 3800 Venice (no overclocking)
512 megs of Ultra brand ram.
Maxtor 6Y080P0 HD (IDE, 80 gigs)
Gforce3 ti500 videocard (yeah, I'll upgrade when I'm done paying off the rest)
Bios version 9.10
Mouse: Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer (not wireless)
Keyboard: Microsoft Digital Media Pro keyboard

Howdy!

What led to the bios update?
Have you cleared the cmos, then reset bios settings?
Could you roll back to previous bios?
Keep posting we'll try to help out!
G'Luck

I'm not sure if I could pull a rollback.
Yes, I cleared cmost and reset the settings.
I do have the emergency disk.

It should be noted that the periphial powerdown problem is the only problem. Windows boots fine, programs run fine, ect.

Oh!

Plague said:
It should be noted that the periphial powerdown problem is the only problem. Windows boots fine, programs run fine, ect.

It may well be a setting in the bios, under acpi or power options.
sumthing along the lines of "power button-instant off".
Possibly a run to the windows update could fix this too.
I've had this prob before and it seems different things fixed it.
Wish I could offer more...others here will I'm certain of it.
G'Luck :grinthumb

So you are saying, when in Windows, you click Start-shutdown and turn off the PC. It all goes as planned and turns off, only the keyboard and mouse stay on?

That kind of still sounds like the BIOS has a wake or turn on from, keyboard and/or mouse. Cause some keyboards of course have a power button on them.
I'm sure you already have, but take another look in the BIOS to look for wake-on-keyboard or any other such events and turn them off.

Remember, there is ALWAYS power going to the motherboard, it never really shuts off, because it has to detect when the power button is pressed again. Or wake-on-LAN etc...

Otherwise, not sure.

cheers

Yeah, I'll take another peel through it, reselect everything to make sure it's saving the selection properly.

I'm wondering if this is just a problem I'm having or if it's a bug in that version of the bios, I'll have to take a look on their forums.

Another add on: The keyboard and mouse remain powered off after I shut down the power supply.

Vigilante said:
If you turn off the power at the power supply level, NOTHING gets power! That's normal.

The point I was making was, that the keyboard/mouse don't power back up when I turn the power supply back on after a shutdown (unless I turn the comp on.) as though the bios simply forgot to inform the periphials it was shutting down.

That is still normal.

The power supply doesn't inform peripherals to shut off, it just plain takes away the power. But I'm guessing, because the motherboard powers the PS/2 ports, it's up to the motherboard whether it should power the devices, not the PS. So rather then the PS not shutting down the mouse/keyboard, more like the motherboard is forgetting to.

And I'm also guessing that the keyboard/mouse run off 5V, the PS usually only keeps active the 3v line on the mobo, so the kb/ms wouldn't be able to power back on anyway.

Just some theories...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back