Name this slot!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GRunyon

Alright, I just got an Acer 7600G off of one of my father's work buddies whos wife works for Acer. I got it for 200 dollars because the monitor that it came with was basically smashed during shipping. Its all good though, I have a 19" LCD monitor anyway. The computer specs basically are 2.8GHz Pentium 4 with 512MB of ram and an 80GB hard drive with integrated 440MX graphics or something of the sort. I was exploring the BIOS and saw some overclocking options, too, which is pretty cool.

Anyway, on to the question. I opened up the case and saw an empty brown slot at the top of the row of PCI slots. Its offset back by an inch or so and is about 4 inches long just like an AGP slot. The only thing it does not have is a little holder clip thing to hold the card in place like I've seen on a lot of other systems. Other then that, it looks like any other AGP slot. Today, I went up into the attic and grabbed my old dusty Radeon 9200se to put in there until christmas when I got money to buy more RAM and a good AGP graphics card. When I went to put the card in, it wouldnt fit! I couldnt get it to snap into place it seemed like the card still needed to go half an inch more foward to slip into the slot. Is this a different kind of AGP slot (2x) or something or might it be a totally different type of slot?

Can you Post a Picture? Is there a plastic divider in this slot? If so is it closer to the front or the back? Is the slot the same length as an AGP?

I've seen those before. It's either a low speed AGP slot or its an AGP slot that runs on the PCI bus. My friend has a AGP slot that runs as part of the PCI bus on his old Athlon XP 2000+ system. It looks like an AGP slot and supports all the way up to AGP8X but according to CPU-Z, and the dissapointing performance specs, it runs on the PCI bus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back