National Geographic Maps!

Status
Not open for further replies.

levi1018

Hi I'm Levi
I'm new to Techspot but I joined 'cause I just needed some help with some stuff and it seems a great way for others to help people with their computer stuff. Excellent so far.

Ok, I have this National Geographic Maps: The Complete Collection program. I comes with a few disks to install it. But every time I try to install it, a window pops up:

"National Geographic Maps can only run under Windows 95"

This is weird. When we bought it, the person said it would be able to run on XP(which I use) but.....it doesn't. Shouldn't the progran at least be able to run on a newer system?
Why doesn't it?

Levi

Did a little digging and I found this

National Geographic said:
Will Not Run on Win NT/2000
Thank you for contacting us, although we are sorry to advise you that this software is not compatible with Win 2000, WinPro or NT.

The program will run on Windows 95, 98, and ME. Windows 95, 98, and ME are operating systems made for running home users, these operating systems use FAT 16 or FAT 32 file structure. Windows NT and Windows 2000 are totally different operating systems from Windows 95, 98, and ME. Windows NT and Windows 2000 were created to work in a business environment, networking, security and remote accessing, etc, they run the file structure NTFS. Even if you change it to Fat 32 Windows 2000 does not use or access the hardware and drivers in the same way. There are not any updates or patches to make the product work on Windows NT or 2000 because of this. There are a few misconceptions about Windows 2000 Professional. Windows 2000 Professional is the Workstation version of the NT 5/Windows 2000 line. It is the Client for the Windows 2000 Advanced Server. Windows 2000 is an OS geared for networking in a controlled business environment. All programs MUST adhere to the rules of Windows NT, which means that the program cannot access hardware directly. Most programs use the Direct X API as a guide or a map to the hardware. NT will not allow this.

Seems like you may want to take it back. XP is NT based and uses the NTFS file structure by default.

You might be able to get it to work by running in compatability mode for 95. 2000 didn't have that option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back