Need a free and decent solution that can defragment my HD's better

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThePhantomPain

Well actually the title off this post says it all, I am looking for a maybe free tool to defragment my harddisk, cause the stupid defragmentationtool within windows XP likes to place some files stuburnly at the end off the partition.

I hope you can help me out on this one,

Yours sincerely,

ThePhantomPain.

You have two ways in XP already

1 you might already know and the other is:

Click on start
click on run
type: cmd
type: defrag c: /f

Non free are O&O Defrag Pro is better but doesn't have much when it comes to the MFT (master file table) this gets fragmented a lot Diskkeeper does a better job. There is also a free Defrag from Wininternals that runs when you reboot the PC in XP DOS.

Owww thx the thing is number 1 is out off the question, cause I need to shove all data at the start off the partition, so I can resize them for a linux distro.
BTW it's not even for me, but for a friend, cause I run linux more from a live-cd, cause at the moment I like to learn commands and stuff in linux the somewhat safer way.
But yes the thing is I need to shove all at the start and the windowsincluded just as diskeeper plop some files that are windows systemfiles at the end off the diskspace.

You can use contig or dirms. I use dirms (the free version) and it's nice.
I found some guis for it and we get along very well.
Not sure that is what u need, but they are free.

PS: If u want to learn Linux why don't u use virtualization?

Yeah I thought about it, but I have a not so performand system here, like a computer from like three and a half year ago, that has parts that make a weird sound, so I stick with the live cd solution just to be on the safe side.

If you have enough space on another partition/harddisk in that PC, copy everything over and back, that will defrag it all AND place everything at the front of the original partition. Then take an image.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back