Need a good gaming mouse: optical or laser?

Status
Not open for further replies.

flowerpower

I'm thinking of getting LOGITECH MX518 Gaming-Grade USB/PS/2 optical mouse, and was wondering if thats a good choice for gaming? Is laser better?

Laser does have more smoothness when you roll it around on your mouse pad but optical is a better choice for gaming

I have had Logitech mouses in the past, and they all feel the same. They basically have the same feel and shape to them. Right now I have a Razer Copperhead mouse and it is a relief because it is much more different from the STANDARD mouse shape and feel. It comes with a buttom on the side of the mouse that switches the speed and smootheness of the mouse, and a button on the other side that you can use for going back and forward on a webpage, or you can just program it to do whatever it lists, (the same goes for the other button.). And by the way, it is also a laser mouse, and it lights up very nicely with a cool, pulsating Razer symbol in the midddle. The Razer Copperhead mouse is also very comfortable, looks cool, and has a very good feel to it. I would recommend this mouse over any other mouse out there.

- If you do get a good mouse, I would recommend getting a big, smooth mouse pad to increase moblilty and also smootheness.

-Check these websites out:

http://www.razerzone.com/Products/Gaming-Mice/Razer-Copperhead-Gaming-Mouse/

http://www.steelseries.com/products/steelpad/steelpad_5l

-You can get these at www.Amazon.com or at www.Bestbuy.com

I've got both of these, and I'm very happy with both... The problem with the G5 is that they moved both precision buttons to the top of the mouse wheel, which makes it hard to access them, but on the other hand you get adjustable weights.
The MX518 on the other hand has more easily accessed precision buttons, but no adjustable weights.

As for Laser vs Optical, I'm not sure. I can't say I've felt much difference between the two, but I've never been able to do a side by side comparison since they are on separate continents...

Anything with a wheel sucks, I totally recommend the laser mouse because u won't have to worry about the receiver in the mouse getting clogged or dirty.

A little off topic

But i must ask.I've had a lot of games in my day,but rarely used a mouse.
Either keyboard,gamepad or Joystick.
What can you name thats very popular now ?
I just got a Laser,not much different except it doesn't need cleaning.
It has no ball.;)

Guys, can someone recomend a good mouse pad as well, i still havent decided whether to go with optical or laser, but i'm not sure which pads are good.

flowerpower said:
Guys, can someone recomend a good mouse pad as well, i still havent decided whether to go with optical or laser, but i'm not sure which pads are good.

I have both laser an optic mice that I use at work and at home. Am I the only one that doesn't use a mouse pad at all?!?

Laser by far. Much smoother precise movement IMO. I use no mouse pad either. Only thing with using a laser mouse and no pad is that if the desk surface is not really smooth, the pointer will tend to be jerky on your screen.

There is this A4tech mouse which uses 3500 DPI instead of the standard 800... I dont know which one exactly, but u can google it.

The benefit of a mouse pad is that it can have different speeds compared to your desk, and will have an even surface, so you won't experience varying speeds...

Depending on your desk, the pad might cause less friction which enables your feet to last longer...

If you get a very nice mouse along with a very nice mousepad, you won't regret it.

-That's why I think the Razer mice and SteelPads would be best for you.:)
-They both look great, which is an added bonus, along with the excellent performance from each item. Also, the Razer mice have a very nice little deatil in each of their products that I forgot to mention before. The part of the mouse that your fingers press on to click are on are conformed to each of your fingers. They are definately the most comfortable mice I have ever used, especially when gaming for a very long time.:)

-Here are all of the SteelPads from Newegg.com. Pick one that you like the most. Also take into consideration the size of each mousepad and your deskspace. But I just put the part of my mousepad that doesn't fit underneath my keyboard..no problem: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...=&Description=Stellpad&Submit=ENE&N=0&Ntk=all

-Here are all of the Razer mice from Newegg.com: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?Submit=ENE&N=50002202&Manufactory=2202

I decided to pick one of those Razer Copperhead mice and try it out, they are pricey but if they are as good as you saqy they are it is worth it. Will have to look into pads next.

I don't use a mouse pad either but, I use a laminate desk or a desk that has a sheet of glass on the top.

I've been using high quality pc controllers since the early nineties and have to say that for me, the ultimate mouse is the logitech mx 518 - if your looking for fancy lights, fancy sounding lasers or a multitude of buttons, look elsewhere - the 518 makes no pretensions about what it is - a pure gaming mouse with superb ergonomics, excellent ease of use, and accurate, the bonus being that the resolution buttons are well placed to allow change in mid game without interruption to gameplay - ok, so its corded - that could be considered its achilles heel, but for a much appauded and well loved piece of gaming kit, its got to be the 518!

Haaskev000 said:
I don't use a mouse pad either but, I use a laminate desk or a desk that has a sheet of glass on the top.

and your mouse works fine with the glass, have glass and my mouse is crap on it, but then again its a 10 dollar optical mouse, any recommendations for glass sufaces, well its laminate, its a desk under, but glasson top, so not totally clear

I had a Logitech G5 for about a week and I loved it, unfortunately I returned it to buy a game ;) You can't always believe then DPI that is listed on mice. With the exception of Logitech and Razer, most of the other companies who list absurd DPI claims (3500) are only gained by extremely ungainly software interpolation, and the mouse in question will perform terribly at that DPI.

But I would definitely recommend a G5 to anyone who wants a new mouse, only problem with it is that it only has 1 side button vs the MX510/MX518s 2 side buttons. And my G5 could track on clear glass :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back