Need a little help please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

COLT-TD

Just when I thought I was done with my other E-Machine, my wife's girlfriend gave me another one. This one has a AMD Athalon XP 2400 processor at 2GHZ and a Nvidia 5200 128mb V.C., windows XP-Pro with 2GB of ram. I boot it up and it runs great for about 25 minutes and then it freezes up. I can see the last video section of a movie I was playing and the HDD LED Light stays on. There is no beeping noise of any kind and I had to shut the system down. I waited about an hour and rebooted the thing and placed another movie in the DvD-Rom drive. It to played for about 25 minutes and it locked up again.
Now, here's some more info. Turned out that my wife's girlfriend's husband changed out the processor chip and heatsink. I'm kind of wondering if this is the culprit. I recently upgraded my other e-machine from a 1600 to a 2400 chip and a brand new heatsink and fan along with a better power supply and it works to perfection. Do any of you fine folks out there think whether this is a processor problem or a Video card or HDD problem? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks. :)

Hard to say, but removing the CPU Heatsink, cleaning off the old Paste and applying some decent goop will probably help.

It does sound like it's overheating - most 'boards will shut the PC off it it gets too warm.

Thanks FC I'll try that. I just got some Artic Circle Silver in a small tube. Is there any other you would recommend?

Edited by Moderator: Removed quote. There`s no need to quote the post directly above your own, unless you`re only replying to a specific section, in which case you would only quote that section. ;)

Thats about the best.

With the Athlon, just put a dollop about 1/2 the size of a grain of rice on the Core.

Take your time cleaning off the old gunk - that "waxy" stuff can be difficult {and stays under your fingernails for ages!}.

If it still plays up, I'd run MemTest as RAM would be the next suspect.
:D

Good point FC. I believe I do have a mem test software on a disc somewhere here in the garage.
Yeah, I got some of that siler goo under my right index finger nail about three days ago and most of it is still there. May have to cut it off....haha

Edited by Moderator: Removed quote. There`s no need to quote the post directly above your own, unless you`re only replying to a specific section, in which case you would only quote that section. ;)

Hey F.C. Put a bigger heatsink and fan on the sucker and so far so good. Ran a DvD of the Superbowl I taped back in Febuary for 1 1/2 hours. (1st half)
Closed out and ejected the disc and shut her down the normal way. Worked very good. I'll give it 3 hr test tomorrow and a 6hr the next day. I have this 'HotCpu testing software' and it takes 6 hrs to complete. Then I'll know for sure if what we discussed was the real problem. Can you recommend a good Memory testing software thats free to download? Thanks, Joe.

Thanks F.C. I'll more than likely use the one for in-windows testing cuz the floppy dosen't work at all.
Have a great day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back