Need a program to split an MPEG1 video

Status
Not open for further replies.

SNGX1275

Basically like what the subject says. I have a 1+ gig mpeg1 file that I want to split in half to burn to VCD.

My problem is that all but 1 program I have tried wants to re-encode the video as it cuts it to where I tell it to, now this wouldn't be such a huge deal if I had a superfast dual Xeon machine or something but I don't.

One program called VCDGear will make it ready to burn to vcd by making a bin and cue file from the desired mpeg, and you can set it to make the segments fit to a 74 or 80 minute CDR, and the leftover if it doesn't fill a disk is fine, its just smaller in size. It does this in about 1-2 minutes or so with that 1+ gig file I have (on my 1Ghz machine). That is much faster than re-encoding a movie that I've already converted to mpeg1 from divx. The problem lies in that either I just got extremely unlucky 2x in a row with burning it, or somewhere in that bin/cue making it botched it a little. Because some of the video is fine, but other times it looks like a scratched dvd when you play it (those big blocky ugly things that are different colors).

So my question is, does anyone know of a program that will just simply split my mpeg without going through the re-encoding process?

A Google for "mpeg split" returns tons of programs and most of them don't seem to want to reencode.

VirtualDUB is a program everyone should have. I think you were able to split mpegs with it too.

Yeh, I got Easy Video Splitter last night, and it seems to do what I want and it makes it fairly "easy".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back