Need Advice on a laptop...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyber

Hi sup... i have been searching around for a laptop.... i just came across a gateway... as to my past experiance it seems gateway's desktops don't last long... but is it same for the notebooks?? and how good are ACER laptops??? i have never owned a nootbook before.... so kinds lost there... lol =D

thanks in advance

Cyber

i know two people withe gateway laptops and they have hade them for 4 years and the only problem is one of them has a bad internal wireless card. i also know someone with an acer and that is a 750 model which is better than my desktop computer by far.never had trouble with his either. 6 to one half dozen of the other.

THanks for the quick reply "joke_U_2"
Aii i found two laptops that look ok for wt i need.... they have different processors... (i think that is a reason I cant decide).... dun have any experience with mobile processors so yea... lol\
what one do u think will perform better....

Gateway:

AMD Turion™ 64 Mobile Technology ML-34
Operates at 1.8 GHz | 1 MB L2 Cache
HyperTransport™ technology at up to 1600 MHz

1024 MB DDR (2 × 512 MB) (PC2700 )
Integrated Radeon® X300 based graphics

120 GB hard drive (4200 RPM)
DVD+/-RW

Intel Pentium M 740 (Centrino) 1.73GHz (533 bus)
2Mb L2 Chache
512MB DDR2 RAM (2 x 256) (533mhz)
80GB hard drive (5200 RPM)
DVD+/-RW

thanks in advance
Cyber

wat r da specs on 'em both?? you don't want "minimum requirements" or"it SHOULD do what I want" because you will load this and that on it and next thing you know its time you replace it.

srry abt that i posted by mistake i was still not done writing the whole thing....

SO wt do u think which will perform better...

Gateway:

AMD Turion™ 64 Mobile Technology ML-34
Operates at 1.8 GHz | 1 MB L2 Cache
HyperTransport™ technology at up to 1600 MHz

1024 MB DDR (2 × 512 MB) (PC2700 )
Integrated Radeon® X300 based graphics

120 GB hard drive (4200 RPM)
DVD+/-RW

Intel Pentium M 740 (Centrino) 1.73GHz (533 bus)
2Mb L2 Chache
512MB DDR2 RAM (2 x 256) (533mhz)
80GB hard drive (5200 RPM)
DVD+/-RW

the gateway by far. the gateway is almost double the other machine[except processer they are almost evanly matched] as for battery life the gateway might get an hour to a half hour less time but there could be other factors i don't know.that almost sounds like a desktop replacement[ a little weak on the processer for that]. other than that you should be able to just about the same with you laptop as your desktop [assumeing u have an avarage to econmy deastop] good luck

Why not try a Dell laptop instead. Their laptops are way better than Acer or Gateway and u can get them for cheap too. Plus u could get a dual-core one which would outclass either of the two above. Try this one below.
http://www1.ca.dell.com/content/products/features.aspx/nb_6400?c=ca&cs=CADHS1&l=en&s=dhs
If ur going for the above Dell, then I would suggest the rightmost package. The only thing I would recommend to change in that is to get 1GB dual-channel RAM(if u want to) and the DVD burner. That would bring it up to 1009 CAD.

But if u want to go for the ones you've posted, then the Acer is much better, due to the larger L2 cache and the DDR2 RAM.

I've been using my toshiba mx35 for almost 2 years. Works great. I'm glad I have it because my desktop just fried the graphics card and I wouldn't have a backup.

It runs cool with no real hiccups. The only thing I have found bad is the battery life isn't long - only about 1.5 hours. But usually I have an AC plug nearby.
I added an extra 512mb of memory for a total of 1gb works great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back