Need advice on AGP Video cards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well i have another G-card I salvaged it from my old cpu it's a old one but i think it might help I think it's a Holtech HT27C512-70 A118K0011 -2 i think, there is also writing saying e-GeForce2 MX-200 .064-A4-NV33-R1 not sure which is the name.

that one on newegg will probably be ok but that other one you said about i wouldn't bother with. the gpu (graphics processing unit) is GeForce2 MX-200, the rest is just stuff to do with the card really. i had a geforce 4 mx 420, which is a higher model than your one, and it wasn't very good to say the least :D

for a bit less money than that one you can get this nvidia one, it has higher clock and memory speeds (2 of the most important things when looking at graphics cards). Asus are a pretty good brand but at the end of the day all i can do is give you my opinion, then it's your decision :) if you need a bit of helping along then somebody was looking for a list of the best graphics cards here, there's plenty of links to lists people have made.

like i said though, at the end of the day all i can do is give my opinion and leave it to you to decide :)

yeah i thought that one sucked i did salvage it off my old pc it didnt have Xp just ME now i have Xp

yeah, to be quite honest it wouldn't be any good for gaming. my old card would barely play videos :D

if you're ever thinking of upgrading to vista then you will want a card that is DirectX 9 compatible, although that would be recommended these days anyway for gaming.

The main things you want to look at in a new graphics card are:
  • Core speed
  • Memory speed
  • Amount of memory
  • Type of memory, e.g. DDR, GDDR3 etc
  • DirectX compatibility

Also it doesn't hurt for it to be a good brand :D

yeah well what i need is a 3d accelerator card with dual TMU support do any of those have said support?

Here, I hope this helps you.....you need to find out your power supply unit specs so we can know that your computer will be compatible for power.

Me said:
In order to run a video card, you need to have the proper power in your computer. You are not going to make it to the next-gen of gaming with a crappy generic power supply. What I suggest you purchase and own for a power supply would be of a known company (Thermaltake, and Antec to name a few). The most important thing that we need to knwo about the power supply is the rating of watts and the amperage on the "+12V. Rail". Note that some power supplies have more than one rail, and the total amperage on each is added together for the final total (ex. 18A + 18A = 36A). For 80-90% of computers (ATX) the power supply is on the top of the computer, and for the rest it is on the bottom (both are located in the back of the computer and look like a box).

image5big1lb.jpg

that's a very good picture of the sticker that you need to find on your power supply. take a look inside your pc and see what your one says or take a picture if you can, whichever is easiest for you.

we can't really go any further without knowing what power supply you have.

what we need to know are: the amperage on the +12V rail, the overall power in Watts and it would be helpful if you could tell us what brand it is.

ummmmmm well i really dont want to take apart my cpu is there any other way?

But i do have another fan from my old cpu... would it help?

This is basically the only way you'll be able to find out what your Power Supply Information is :( . You also need to take the side off your computer if you are going to install your video card as well.

i am also maybe gonna get a laptop would this card suffice?ATI Radeon® Xpress 1150 256MB HyperMemoryTM ?

If you going to get a laptop, your best bet is to get the best configuration your budget permits since upgrade options later for laptops are limited, costly, and sometimes impossible, especially when dealing with video. Hypermemory cards steal ram from your system ram which can cause performance issues, especially if you only have 1GB. Your better off getting a dedicated video card and the best you can, something along the lines of a 7800 or 7900GS GO or one of the newer ones that are comming out such as the 8400 or 8600GS GO which will have DX10 capabilities.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back