Need advice with upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which MB/Video card do you think is a better bang for your buck?

OPTION 1:

MB: Asus A8V Deluxe $115.00

VIDEO CARD: GeForce 6800 GT 256MB $295.00

total: $410.00

OPTION 2:

MB: Asus A8V-E Deluxe (PCIe) $145.00

VIDEO CARD: RADEON X800 XL 256MB PCI Express $270.00

total: $415.00

Perhaps you could mix the two up:

The Asus A8V-E Deluxe (PCIe) is a nice Mainboard with PCIe support, which is going to be the future standart of videocards anyway. And you could try to go for a GeForce 6800 GT 256MB PCIe (Which isn't that much more expensive) Because the GeForce seems to do better in benchmarks. (At least the ones I just looked up)

Hope you can get a nice upgrade like that :)

Good luck.

It depends on what you play...

The Geforce cards are best a Doom3 based games, though not a lot anymore, whereas the Radeon cards are better on HL2 games...

But mostly the difference is one or two fps.
Here is a good shoot out...

So I'd look a bit at what kind of support do the company offer... ATI releases drivers about once a month with fixes and updates, whereas nvidia leaks new drivers with the same frequency. The difference then is that ATI's drivers are certified by MS, but nvidia's are used "as is" and at own risk...

When I had the same question I ended up in the ATI camp, as I also were a bit peeved at how they had handled the NV30 debacle...

Lastly, going PCIe now does seem like a good idea, as you'll be able to upgrade to other graphics cards without having to upgrade mobo/cpu at the same time...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back