Need an ADSL2 Modem

Status
Not open for further replies.

CMH

I am gonna get my internet upgraded to ADSL2+ in a couple of months (courtesy of my ISP) and I'm in the market for a good router. I don't mind forking out more money for a good one, so blast me with something I really can do with.

I got 3 switches at home at the moment, so I don't really need it to be a switch. One of them is a wireless switch as well, and I'm not a fan of wireless in the first place, so its optional.

I've got tons of Cat6 cable, and I actually do transfer gigabytes of stuff all over the network often, so a gigabit switch built in will be nice. But internet speed is the main concern, I can always buy a seperate gigabit switch.

I don't know anything about connecting to the internet (read my last thread in this forum :D) so I don't know how to even start shopping for a good router. Some tips will be nice.

I know how to read manuals, and some basics on setting up, so don't worry about me not being able to work the software. Friends online and offline help as well :D

But first, I've got a question: Are there any routers/switches with RAM? Given that I've got quite a few computers on the network, I think I've got plenty of data going all over, so will RAM will probably help with the speed and such?

Thanks for any advice.

First.. Did your ISP just upgrade their network or do they actually give you ADSL2 speed? Usually customers get connection speeds way less than the network's capabilities.

Second.. As I have said before, a plain 100Mbit ethernet is several times faster than any DSL connection. No matter what you do with your LAN, your internet speeds will not improve.

Yes, all switches and routers have RAM in them.

They're getting ADSL2 into my area, and they're no longer giving our ADSL1 once it comes out. And since I'm already a customer, they are giving me a free upgrade (newcomers get 2gb less download limit).

Are you saying it doesn't matter what modem I get?

And about routers, apparently a good one'll make a difference.

http://www.tomsnetworking.com/2006/03/31/hardware_router_chart/

So I take it that I should get any modem I can lay my hands on, and then invest in a good router? As I said, I transfer gigs of stuff all over the place often, so a good router is a must. Nothing to do with net of course, I'm talking comp to comp here.

The download limit is not the point. What will your real connection speed be? If your ISP is reluctant to tell you (or doesn't advertise this), then you are probably being shafted.

All ADSL2 gear is backwards compatible, so even if your ISP has a full ADSL2 setup, it should still support older ADSL devices (your ISP would be crazy to replace the modems of all their customers).

This router chart shows the internet speeds of the routers. Nothing about the LAN throughput (bar the gigabit capability). The LAN side of home routers is a standard switch-on-a-chip thing and should be quite up to speed. Gigabit would help of course.

ISP said:
$59.99
24000/1000k 30GB* 128k/128k 12 month
CC/DD $59.95 Buy

The 24000/1000k is "Connection Speed up to". Got it from their site.

I think part of the free upgrade is that we have to get our own modems, so yeah, it'll support my current modem.

Nodsu said:
This router chart shows the internet speeds of the routers. Nothing about the LAN throughput (bar the gigabit capability). The LAN side of home routers is a standard switch-on-a-chip thing and should be quite up to speed. Gigabit would help of course.

I'm confused. I thought nothing can improve on the internet speed?

You definitely need an ADSL2 modem to get the 24000k speed..

You have two networks - the Internet and your LAN. Between them is your router. Your router consists of a switch and the actual routing part that is between the switch and the WAN port.

The only bit that affects your internet speed is the router part (and the connection that you get from your ISP of course). The only bit that effects your LAN speed is the switch half of the router (and the rest of the LAN of course).

So if you are getting a 24Mbit internet connection, then you have to look at the tomsnetworking chart and get a router that can support that. The tomsnetwroking chart measured the internet speed of routers.
What kind of switch the router has, or whatever you do with the rest of your LAN does not matter at all. (Well, unless you do something very wrong)

At the same time you are talking about moving gigabytes worth of data on your LAN. You might get some improvement to that if you get a router with a gigabit switch builtin, but that depends on how your home is networked - a router with a gigabit switch is useless if all your computers attach to it through another 100Mbit switch.

Maybe if you summarise what exactly do you want in two questions, three lines each?

Okay,

I think I want a modem/router, and a seperate gigabit switch, given that my googling didn't show any modem/routers with gigabit built in (kinda strange really).

I know you'd need gigabit NICs to use gigabit. I don't have it, but I plan to get them (have it on 1 comp only atm). The investment is good, given that I spend half an hour each time I transfer a raw video file. With gigabit, that should reduce it to 5 mins hopefully. Please tell me if I'm wrong.

Anyway, the modem/router doesn't need to have a switch built in, cos I'm probably getting a seperate one. Bridged mode only modem/routers should suffice.

My home seems to be 2.5-3.0kms from the exchange (not sure how long via copper). I was hoping a good modem will reduce the effect of such a long range.

Thats the modem/router bit.

For the LAN, I'd just need something that'll give me a good transfer speed. I think some of the other computers act somewhat as a storage, and some games are run off those on another comp, if that'll determine what kinda swith I get. I take it that since there's a router on the modem, an unmanaged switch would suffice for this part. Haven't set modems as routers before though...

I hope thats enough info.

I should add that I'm currently looking at the Netcomm NB1. I can't seem to gogle it though, but its offered by my ISP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back