Need flashing help

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm thinking of upgrading to an ASUS A7V600-X and an AMD Sempron processor. The problem is that I need to flash the BIOS in order for the motherboard to work with it. Can ASUS' DOS-free BIOS flashing utility work without a CPU?

As long as you install the Sempron after you shut down the computer at the completion of the Flash utility, leave your existing CPU in the computer to run the Flash.
I have never done this ,but it makes sense.You should wait until you hear from someone that's done it.
Or do you mean you have no CPU in that Mb
BTW Welcome to Techspot!

In order to flash the BIOS, you need a CPU. Sometimes newer batches of boards come with newer BIOSes so see if it isn't written "Sempron ready" on the box of the board.

At worst, install the Sempron CPU & flash the BIOS. Before you do so, the Sempron will be recognised as an AthlonXP. The newer BIOS versions just add the proper CPU identification string, it doesn't do much else. Your board supports the Sempron's 166mhz FSB without a problem, you just need to make sure that you have at least PC2700 Ram. & don't get a 3100+ Sempron as it will not work on a Socket-A motherboard.

Thanks for the welcome wagon :)

I mean I have no CPU, since I'm upgrading from a Pentium II. I haven't found a Sempron-ready board. My other option was the Gigabyte 7VT600, but it looks like it needs to be flashed too. There's also the MSI KT4VL, but I couldn't find a mention of Sempron support at all.

Unfortunately, I'm on a tight budget, or I'd go for another processor (I looked into the Celeron but motherboards for it are too expensive). I was going to go for a Sempron 2400+, which I believe has a 333 MHz FSB, and some PQI PC3200 RAM.

Didou, are you sure I could flash the ASUS board with the Sempron installed? If I go ahead and buy them and it doesn't work, I'd be in big trouble. No one could flash the board for me.

The only similar experience I've had was getting a 1700+ Thoroughbred to work on a quite old K7S5A. When I put the 1700+ on the board, it called it an "Athlon 4 1466mhz" & Windows wasn't quite stable.

With the 1700+ still on the board, I flashed the BIOS & it recognised it as an AthlonXp 1700+ & Windows worked fine.

The 2400+ Sempron is just a 2000+ AthlonXP with a faster FSB (166mhz instead of 133mhz) & the boards you mention support such an FSB without any problems. I'm quite sure you'll be able to flash the BIOS if need be. You could also put the Sempron & find the board recognises it fine out of the box.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back