Need help bring files from FAT32 to NTFS Hard Drive with ONE computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently put together a much better computer for myself, but salvaged the hard drive from my older computer. My first idea was to use the Win98 Hard Drive as a primary driver, then upload my important stuff to CD or the internet.

Problem is, my processor is too fast for Windows 98 and will not load as a primary OS.

So now I am using my updated NTFS hard drive, but I have this old Fat32 sitting around and I want to get some files from it.

So how would I do this? :(

You attach the old drive as a non primary one so you will boot from the NTFS thing.

No, disk drives cannot read each other, but if you have Windows 2000 or newer on that NTFS drive then it can read FAT32 partitions just fine.

Did you connect the power connector to the drive? Is the other device on the cable set to master? If you are using an 80-connector cable then the slave device must be on the grey plug and master on the black one. Did you set the corresponding IDE device in BIOS to be auto-detected?

Lucavious said:
I tried to add the hard drive to my computer, but it won't recognize it. I am using a Maxtor 60 GB hard drive as seen here:
http://www.maxtor.com/portal/site/M...ives/Desktop/DiamondMax Plus 60 Ultra ATA 100

I set the jumpers to a slave drive, but it still won't recognize the hard drive is even there :(
What won't recognise it? The BIOS or Windows? If its Windows the problem almost for certain is that the drive is not partitioned. If you have XP you can do that through control panel -> administrative tools -> computer management -> disk management. You will see you drive there, you can from there set up partitions on it by right clicking and creating partition.

Unfortunately it does not detect it in the WIndows Configurator either. The BIOS doesn't detect it, I hooked it up just as you instructed, and it's almost as if it isn't even there. I would think it had become corrupt in some way, but when I was first installing my computer it worked fine, so I can't imagine why it wouldn't now.

Is the drive getting power?
You should see the drive on POST or in the BIOS if the jumpers are correct and its getting power.

Does it sound ok? The only time I've not seen a drive be detected it was because I either didn't remember to hook up the power to the drive, or the IDE cable wasn't pushed in all the way, or the drive was dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back