Need help Building my own computer!

Status
Not open for further replies.

XxLairdxX

Ok so some of you may have read my other thread "What motherboard should i get?" but that turned into a great thread where i basically changed everything to make the computer i want to build better. I was origanally going to buy a AMD Athlon 64 FX-55 2.60GHz but they upped the price from $400 to $650 (PLZ keep in mind these are canadian prices so dont link me to any american sites with "better deals") So now i have to switch from a FX to a X2, real bummer but i just dont got that kinda cash. i was looking to get the AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+ 1MB Cache 2000MHz FSB Socket 939 but when the X2 first came out i heard some people who were sceptical abbout it. I was just wondering if it will be a good CPU for gaming.

Thanks for any help you can give me!

It's Ok.

That processor is fine and all, but I suggest going with socket AM2. The prices have lowered, and AM2 is future-proof (atleast for now). S939 is going to be dead in a little while.

Anyways, I suggest you tone down the CPU a little. Going from an X2 3800+ (lowest end) to an X2 4800+ (highest end) will not provide a >15% gaming performance difference. However, I suggest while you get a lower CPU you get a better graphics card. It's the graphics card that's most importand for a game, so having a slower CPU and a faster graphics card is better than a faster CPU and a slower graphics card.

So Here It Is

Heres the specs for want no that i have reconsidered to switch to AM2 because the prices were exactly the same.

CPU-AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+ 2.40GHz / 1MB Cache / 2000MHz FSB / Socket AM2 / Dual-Core (Windsor)

Mobo-Biostar GeForce 6100 AM2 NVIDIA Socket AM2 Motherboard / Audio / Video / PCI Express / 10/100 Ethernet LAN / USB 2.0 / Serial ATA / RAID

Hard Drive-Seagate / Barracuda 7200.9 / 80GB / 7200 / 8MB / SATA-300 / OEM / Hard Drive

Case-Xion II Black ATX Mid-Tower Case with Clear Side Front USB and Audio Ports and 450-Watt Power Supply

Graphics Card-RADEON X800GT 260mb display memory

Floppy and Cd drives- whatever is in this computer

So there you go this is my first time dealing with AM2 so im unsure about the Mobo so if you have suggestions feel free to post them. Also i have no idea what i'm doing for sound so could someone please help me out with that.

Your other thread on this subject has been deleted.

Please don`t start any more threads for this subject. Thanks.

Regards Howard :)

Ok so i've done some more research and i am stil confident in the hardware i have chosen i would still like some help with sound and also if anyone here knows about Windows Vista, do you think this computer could run it?

New computer need sound help!

I'm going to build a new computer and all the other stuff is set (i know what i''m going to get) i was hoping on ordering the parts by the end of the week but i currently have no idea what to do for sound. Will it come with something, do i have to buy a sound card and software seperatly i'm not too lazy that i'll just depend on you guys i'm looking into it right now actually but it would be nice to have insite from a more experianced person. So thanks in advance for any help u can give!

I have merged you new thread into this one. That way the guys who have replied will know what`s going on.

Your new mobo will have onboard sound, so unless you want a good quality soundcard straight away, you can just use the onboard sound.

Regards Howard :)

Does my mobo support sata?

If u have read my other 2 threads already u will know that i am building a new computer. Everything was running smoothly until they took the hard drive i was going 2 get off the site. I have picked a new Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 SATA 300 hard drive, looks great but in 1 of the reviews it says make sure your mobo supports SATA drives. I looked at my mobo description and it only had some stuff , it says serial ATA in the name, but i've been screwed over by stuff like this b4 so could someone plz take a look at this link and tell me what u think. I want to order the parts tonight so it would really help thnx!

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2222539&Tab=2&NoMapp=0
i'll pop in the link for the hardrive 2 just in case.
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1639147&Tab=0&NoMapp=0

sorry for any abbreviations but i'm sure you tech spot goers know what i'm talking about!

things to point out

XxLairdxX said:
Heres the specs for want no that i have reconsidered to switch to AM2 because the prices were exactly the same.

CPU-AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+ 2.40GHz / 1MB Cache / 2000MHz FSB / Socket AM2 / Dual-Core (Windsor)

Mobo-Biostar GeForce 6100 AM2 NVIDIA Socket AM2 Motherboard / Audio / Video / PCI Express / 10/100 Ethernet LAN / USB 2.0 / Serial ATA / RAID

Hard Drive-Seagate / Barracuda 7200.9 / 80GB / 7200 / 8MB / SATA-300 / OEM / Hard Drive

Case-Xion II Black ATX Mid-Tower Case with Clear Side Front USB and Audio Ports and 450-Watt Power Supply

Graphics Card-RADEON X800GT 260mb display memory

Floppy and Cd drives- whatever is in this computer

So there you go this is my first time dealing with AM2 so im unsure about the Mobo so if you have suggestions feel free to post them. Also i have no idea what i'm doing for sound so could someone please help me out with that.

I noticed you didnt include a power supply..I wouldnt recommend power supplies bundled with the case:hotouch:

for sound you can get the creative music extreme from the x-fi series
the higher end x-fis arent that much different and cost way more

Hurray!

All the parts have now been ordered and now its just a waiting game. As for power supply and sound card, i'm gonna wait till i put together everything and boot up and have it working well. So yeah the parts will probably arrive while i'm in algonquin for a week. So i may be back on here askin about PSUs and Sound cards in about 3 weeks.
:wave:

Building A PC - Buying from Fry's - Help Needed

Always glad to ask stuff on TechSpot - you experts are the best!

Okay, so I'm likely going to Fry's tomorrow after the ad comes out in the Sunday LA Times and buying whatever Mobo/Chip combo they have on sale to start building my own computer. I'll likely be buying a case there, too, but I was wondering if anyone can tell me whether they'll help me put it together?

I'm adept only at installing the parts after the thing's been put together. I don't want to mess up updating the BIOS or any of the preliminary steps. Once it's put together with the hard drive, optical drive, floppy and and standard front USB/Firewire ports installed, I'll be ready to go. I have my own power source (330 W) if the case doesn't come with, but I was hoping someone here might have some input as to how much help I can get from Fry's with this. All the components I'm putting into it were purchased there, BTW.

Can anyone provide any input?

Thanks for any help!

Pax, harmonia,

BrianPhilbin

u can double that PSU as most will at minimum need a 500wt and if u are going to get anything respecable it will need more. or atleast that is the first shot.

Hard Drive

XxLairdxX said:

You'd probably want a hard drive with more space, I'd suggest one of these.

That's a very good site for computer parts, especially if you're in Canada.

www.ncix.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back