Need Help: Constant Restarts and BSODs, Event ID 1003

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ugh, I've been having problems with my comp for over a year now. For a while, the constant reboots took a back seat and didn't do it so often, but now it's resurfaced again even worse. What's more annoying is that it happens even when it's just idling; I walk away to grab some food, and I come back to a rebooting comp. I run WinXP pro.

Event ID 1003, source System Error.

Error code 100000d1, parameter1 00000081, parameter2 00000002, parameter3 00000000, parameter4 89e03ec0.

One dump points to a hardware error. The other four are identical, and this points to a software error. Uninstall the CPU driver (AmdK8.sys) via add/remove programs and see how you go. It's only needed for cool 'n' quiet. You can always reinstall it later if it isn't the problem.

If it still crashes, start by updating any Norton\Symantec products you have.

BugCheck 1000000A, {0, 1c, 1, 806d574a} <-- Usually a hardware error.
Probably caused by : AmdK8.sys ( AmdK8+342a )
baa58000 baa67000 AmdK8 AmdK8.sys Fri Jul 30 05:20:24 2004 (41096A18)

Hmm.

I was looking into some of my older minidumps and they say the sources are hardware there too. I'm getting the feeling that it has something to deal with my graphics card drivers, since some of them reference some ATI (I use a Radeon X800, and a Radeon 7000 for extra monitors) stuff. Is there any surefire way to figure out which hardware is the culprit?

Your last (older) Minidump pointed to AmdK8.sys. and pointed to hardware error but that was all.

I suggest following peterdiva's suggestion.

Did you oc your cpu?

Edit: Here is an interesting article from 2 years ago. Perhaps this can help shed some light.

The process AMD Processor Driver belongs to the software AMD Processor Driver by Advanced Micro Devices.

Description: File AmdK8.sys is located in the folder C:\Windows\System32\drivers. Known file sizes on Windows XP are 36352 bytes (47% of all occurrence), 35328 bytes, 39424 bytes, 35840 bytes, 36864 bytes.
The driver can be started or stopped from Services in the Control Panel or by other programs. The program is not visible. There is no detailed description of this service. The file is not a Windows system file. The file is a Microsoft signed file. AmdK8.sys seems to be a compressed file. Therefore the technical security rating is 15% dangerous.

Important: Some malware camouflage themselves as AmdK8.sys, particularly if they are located in c:\windows or c:\windows\system32 folder. Thus check the AmdK8.sys process on your pc whether it is pest. We recommend Security Task Manager for verifying your computer's security. It is one of the Top Download Picks of 2005 of The Washington Post and PC World.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back