Need help deleting "Spyware detected running in memory"

Status
Not open for further replies.

milky

I am trying to clean up a friends laptop (Dell Latitude D505 running XP Home Edition). After running Spy Sweeper v3.2, I get a msg saying "Spyware detected running in memory. Please close all applications before continuing, blah blah blah". No apps running, I even opened Task Manager and ended every process it would let me (except, of course, SpySweeper.exe and explorer.exe) then proceeded to remove all detected spyware. Everything was removed with the exception of "ClkOptimizer". The msg said something like "Could not delete napuzo.dll. File will be deleted upon reboot." Click OK then the msg "Would you like to reboot now?" Click OK. System Reboots, run spy sweeper again, and boom! there it is again still running in memory. If I search entire HD for "napuzo" or "clkoptimizer" no file is found. I tried starting in safe mode with command prompt, but cannot find the file location even in normal mode, so I cannot delete in Safe Mode without knowing where the file is. It seems to me that the file does not exist on the HD, that it is somehow only in memory (i'm assuming RAM). How is this possible? and can it be fixed without reformatting HD? and can it even be fixed with reformatting since apparently the file is not on the HD?

How about running the SpySweeper in Safe Mode?

You could also consider alternative spyware serach tools like Spybot S&D, Ad-Aware, HijackThis

Ran Spybot also...found some more stuff but not THE ONE! Will try Hijack and spy sweeper in safe mode and get back

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back