Need help finding a mobo that meets this criteria

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeepMartin

As the tittle says it, right now i have a great amount of money saved 3k to be exact and i am thinking about buying an overkill computer with 1k lol since i can cut expenses by just getting 1x250gb hhd and 1x2gbs of ram is more than enough for me but that be another post

but i havent found the right motherboard to what i want (or to what i think has the most future to keep up with todays technology)

what i want the mobo to have is
  • the X38 chipset so it can have 2x 16x PCIe 2.0 (i'm still waiting on crossfire to be better before spending money on it, for now i will just get 1 card most likely a 8800GT)
  • be a LGA775 so i can have a Q6600 also to have the most FSB for any future and better quads 1066/1333/1600
  • and having DDR2 and DDR3 ram (which is what i havent found yet, this will help me save some money by getting DDR2 while waiting for DDR3 prices to drop and performance to improve)
  • also to be a good brand and overclocker even if im not gonna push it too much i still wanna

the problem is the DDR2 and DDR3 on the same mobo i only found a p35 to be able to do that GIGABYTE GA-EP35C-DS3R (but it doesnt have the 2PCIe that i want)

i've almost given up looking for it by myself i get dead ends and ect maybe one of you shoppers can tell me where to find one

if this mobo doesnt exist then i will just have to get a p35 with 1x16xPCIe and ddr2 since it can deliver almost greatest performance

PS just a sidenote i think the LGA775 is getting old, is there a better and faster LGA coming out soon? making the lga775 another dead end like my 478 p4

the tomshardware.com is great i browsed thru the X38 Comparison Part

which makes me point to GA-P35C-DS3R that has the ddr2 and ddr3 but it doesnt have the 2x 16x PCIe 2.0 leaving me out of the crossfire
the new ati x2 with crossfire on the card seems like a way around it

and now i read on tomshardware about Skulltrail which supports Crossfire & SLI so it makes me want to wait

Crossfire is not such a great option unless you want to play games at very high resolutions, such as those above 1600x1200, since that's where the extra framebuffer really helps. Otherwise, just get a powerful single card like the HD 3870 X2 you mentioned (since it seems you're leaning towards it) and forget about Crossfire. I'd recommend getting the Gigabyte motherboard you mentioned along with the 9800GX2 which is releasing soon, along with an E8400. You can later upgrade to a Yorkfield CPU if you want to. It'll give you a PC with excellent performance on games owing to the ultra-powerful GPU and CPU.

heres a question

DDR3 is supposed to get better latency in the future but is it going to be at 1333mhz?

i am still debating whether to care or not about ddr3

I doubt DDR3 will have better latency only at that speed, since most people will prefer buying higher-clocked modules as well, in order to have maximum OCing potential. I own a DDR3 4GB kit myself, and the only reason I've bought one is because I'm looking forward to getting a Yorkfield CPU with a 1600MHz FSB, and I'm not very comfortable with OCing my RAM. IMO, don't bother about DDR3 much right now and just get a DDR2 kit for now. Then when DDR3 becomes as widely available and affordable as DDR2, get a DDR3 kit. Since that GIgabyte motherboard supports both, you're safe both ways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back