Need help getting data off of hard drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have two hard drives in my system. One is a Maxtor and the other Western Digital. Both have operating systems. I am trying to get data off of my WD hard drive by booting from the Maxtor hd. However, I am unable to view my WD hd in My Computer to get the data I need. I've already changed the jumpers with Maxtor being the Master and WD being the slave. So what do I do now???

Be sure your cables are snugly installed... Check the EIDE socket on the motherboard. Then check each drive individually. I am assuming you already have the newer 80 conductor, 40 connector EIDE cables... but you might try exchanging those ribbon cables with others, as the 80 conductor ones are very fragile, easily crimped, scratched or have wires pulled loose.
Double check the jumper settings for the Western Digital because they are different on some WD models when another drive is also on the system, than when installed alone.
Then run the Western Digital, then the Maxtor drive fitness tests, if still not working properly.

...still cannot view the drive under My Computer

i checked everything yet still it's not showing in My Computer. the system somewhat identifies the driver because it shows under the Device Manager. what else do i need to do?

Just because it identifies a driver, does not mean the driver is working. Sometimes it is worth the time to remove or disable the driver, then install a new one.

sounds like you need to take possision of the drive lookup security settings
if there is another OS present security will not let you do anything untill ownership is passed to active system

yes, i could see the HD in Disk Management.

how do you change security settings? i have also tried uninstalling the hard drive, then reinstalling it again..will that work?

hopefully
the option is not grayed out
right click on the drive
go to properties if it not grayed out

go to security /advanced look for ownership tab add admin name
at bottom tick all sub files folders
go back to the first right click menu assign a letter

..no security options

the HDD doesn't appear under Disk Management..my bad..it appears only and only under Device Manager /Disk Drives. there are no security settings when i right-click on the device. the options it gives me are INSTALL/UNINSTALL/UPDATE DRIVER/SCAN FOR HARDWARE CHANGES/PROPERTIES..and under PROPERTIES..GENERAL/POLICIES/DRIVER/DETAILS...

are you running xp home or pro
try the policies tab security may be there
if home try boot to safe mode security tab may pop up

i am running xp pro. i tried the policy tab but still nothing. in safe mode, it appears in Disk Management as a dynamic disk. it wants me to convert it to basic disk. now will that affect the data if i would convert from dynamic to basic? how do you access dynamic disks?

I know you can go from basic to dynamic there is question about the reverse I don't think you will keep your data
go to MS website try searching there for conversion of dynamic disks
this seems to happen a lot
especialy with external drives
I recovered data for client that removed a usb drive and attached via ide cable on boot xp converted the dynamic disk and woops lost all files
well sort of I retrieved most
check with acronis website a little better disk manager it may convert without harming data

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back