Need help on building a new rig.

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexgoh

Hi guys, I would like to ask for some advice on building a new rig for my dad. Erm, the budget would be around 2k SGD. So that makes it about 1.3 -1.5k USD. Erm the rig is more for photoshop and digital imaging as my dad is a photographer. Could anyone please suggest some parts to get a solid rig. I'm thinking Core 2 Quad here but please do give me advice. Also, for photo editing, is it neccessary to get a SLI computer? Thanks for your time.

i can tell u 2 things, get quad core 4 work with graphics and good graphic card ofc, which one, dont know wait 4 others 2 say ;)
but i recommend quad core..

You don't need a quad-core CPU for photo editing. An Intel Dual-Core E2180, with a good mobo like the Abit IP35, 2GB of RAM and an 8600GT.

Thank you for responding. Erm, could you recommend an ASUS mobo? My dad is a loyal supporter of ASUS after all these years. However, we won't mind Gigabyte as well.

My specs are:
Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.4Ghz
2GB Kingston Hyper-X
2 x 320Gb Seagate HDD
ASUS Striker Extreme
Samsung IDE DVD 20x writer
ASUS 8800GTS 320mb

If I use the 8800GT SLI over my current gfx, is it really worth it? Also is the power enough? I'm currently using a 710W PSU from ACBEL. Thanks for the advice.

Most people on here say that SLI is not worth doing, Rage will probably say something about it in the next post he does. I would go with the 8800GT over the 8800GTS. Its less expensive and I have heard that it performs better than the 8800GTS. Other than that your set up looks awesome.

Here is my thread I started about SLIing. Maybe it will help you on deciding wether or not to do it.

https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic93964.html

I recently built a quad core QX6700 for photoshop and 3d rendering etc. Using XP Pro 64-bit it hammers any other system we have by miles.
QX6700 did tasks in less than half the time of my E6600.
I'd get it, because with photo/digital imaging, the next thing that people tinker with is video editing and this is where the quad core will really perform. Seeing as the Q6600 is only marginly more expensive that the E6600, i'd go quad every time.
Get plenty of decent ram as well. Graphics card is not as important as people reckon. But, better to get a workstation card than a gaming card.

The 8800GTs in SLI will only show expected performance improvements at ultra-high resolutions like 1600x1200 and higher, which'd also need a monitor big enough to support them. Factor in the cost of extra cooling and a new PSU that you'd most likely require, and SLI isn't really worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back