need help on installing intel extreme graphics card

Status
Not open for further replies.
currently im using a SiS graphic card. but i want to use an intel extreme 2 graphic card, but it wont let me install and it always says something about INF files when i try to install or corrupt / missing files..
SiS lags my games and i think its worse than intel
But i read on the INTEL site that the intel drivers wouldnt install if there was a PCI (?) on my computer. i have no idea what this is but can someone tell me how to uninstall it?
i just got my pc fixed from a local shop too.. pics below
if anyone can help me id appreciate it!!!btw i am on Windows xp PRO

Intel Extreme Graphics aren't a graphics card- but instead integrated graphics chipsets. This means your system must already have integrated Intel graphics on the motherboard. As you've stated, you already have SiS integrated.. so which one does your mainboard have? You can't just install the Intel drivers and have it "change" the integrated graphics chip your system has. You'll get the INF error if you try to install Intel Extreme Graphics on a system without this chipset on it.

If you can provide your system stats, this would be helpful for providing advice on what you need to do. Neither SiS nor Intel integrated graphics are very good or supported for many 3D games, so it's highly recommended you consider upgrading to a new videocard and disabling the on-board/integrated graphics entirely.

Sharkfood said:
Intel Extreme Graphics aren't a graphics card- but instead integrated graphics chipsets. This means your system must already have integrated Intel graphics on the motherboard. As you've stated, you already have SiS integrated.. so which one does your mainboard have? You can't just install the Intel drivers and have it "change" the integrated graphics chip your system has. You'll get the INF error if you try to install Intel Extreme Graphics on a system without this chipset on it.

If you can provide your system stats, this would be helpful for providing advice on what you need to do. Neither SiS nor Intel integrated graphics are very good or supported for many 3D games, so it's highly recommended you consider upgrading to a new videocard and disabling the on-board/integrated graphics entirely.
thanks for the info :)

here is the system info :)

maybe someone can recommend me a graphic card i should buy? some people recommended Nvidia but there are so many nvidia cards :dead:
if anyone can recommend me an average/cheap price graphic card that runs fine in 3d/2d games with no lag and has good graphics, it would be appreciated :)
i live in australia btw.

We actually need to know the make/model of your motherboad in order to suggest you a new video card.

If you don't know the make/model, you can run this program on it to probe your system:
https://www.techspot.com/downloads/27-cpu-z.html

It would probably be a good idea to tell us about your power supply as well, so we can tell you if it will be enough to power a newer graphics card. Take a look inside your case, on on the power supply you'll find a sticker. We need to know how many watts it is rated at, and what company made it.

And... am I reading your ram info right? Upgrading your ram will make a HUGE difference. We can make suggestions on what to get after you give us your motherboard info.

DonNagual said:
We actually need to know the make/model of your motherboad in order to suggest you a new video card.

If you don't know the make/model, you can run this program on it to probe your system:
https://www.techspot.com/downloads/27-cpu-z.html

It would probably be a good idea to tell us about your power supply as well, so we can tell you if it will be enough to power a newer graphics card. Take a look inside your case, on on the power supply you'll find a sticker. We need to know how many watts it is rated at, and what company made it.

And... am I reading your ram info right? Upgrading your ram will make a HUGE difference. We can make suggestions on what to get after you give us your motherboard info.
here is the motherboard info :
moth0zu.jpg
:)
but i cant seem to open my case :(

OK, that helps a lot. Now we can give you some input.

First thing I'd recommend is getting more ram. You only have 256mb now? Right away, go and buy yourself 2 sticks of 512mb (400mhz, pc3200). Ram prices are nice and cheap now, and you'll notice a huge performance increase.

For your video card, you have an empty AGP8x slot waiting for some love. You can get yourself a nice card, and your budget is pretty much the deciding factor as to how much power you want. I'd recommend the 6600gt (AGP8x version, NOT the PCI-e version) as a mimimum, and if you really want a beefy card that'll chew up any game you toss at it look at the 6800GT (again, you want the AGP8x version).

There are of course cheaper cards out there, but for today's games, the 6600GT is about the minimum you're going to want to put money into. Consider it as a starting point. Here is one of the better 6600gt cards: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814125168 I don't know of any Aussie sites to link you to...

For reference to others helping out, here is his mobo: http://tw.giga-byte.com/MotherBoard/Products/Products_GA-8S661FXM.htm

It would also be a good idea to get inside your case, and find out what your power supply is. If you're going to be upgrading to newer video card, you're going to need to be sure you can power it before you buy it...

When you say you can't open your case, do you mean you CAN'T, or do you mean you don't know how? If it is the latter, typically the case can be opened by removing the left side panel of the case, and it is held closed by a couple of screws on the back of the case.

The power supply will be the box inside the case that has the power cord plugged into it (the cable outside your case that goes to your room's power outlet).

I'd have to second Don's advice- the 6600GT is pretty hard to beat, bang for the buck. It's a great performing card. ATI's X800GTO is also a great middle range 3D card for AGP. The X800GTO is a 12-pipeline card, the 6600GT is an 8-pipeline card.

Asus 6600GT - $187
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814121195

Saphire X800GTO - $209
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102608

Do not despair if you have difficulties upgrading and we can help you with any difficulties you may have here on this forum. Your PC has an SiS chipset which can sometimes be a little tricky when adding 3rd party AGP adapters as you will need to ensure you have the latest AGP and mini-port drivers installed correctly in order to get stability.

Either card would be a HUGE improvement for you as the on-board SiS graphics are like 1/100th the power of these DX9.0 3D cards.

Your system has 256MB of ram, from which some is in use likely by the on-board video. You should definately up this to 512mb or 1 gig total. A pair of 512MB (for a total of 1 gig) would be a cheap and massive upgrade for gaming as well.

Sharkfood said:
I'd have to second Don's advice- the 6600GT is pretty hard to beat, bang for the buck. It's a great performing card. ATI's X800GTO is also a great middle range 3D card for AGP. The X800GTO is a 12-pipeline card, the 6600GT is an 8-pipeline card.

Asus 6600GT - $187
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814121195

Saphire X800GTO - $209
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102608

Do not despair if you have difficulties upgrading and we can help you with any difficulties you may have here on this forum. Your PC has an SiS chipset which can sometimes be a little tricky when adding 3rd party AGP adapters as you will need to ensure you have the latest AGP and mini-port drivers installed correctly in order to get stability.

Either card would be a HUGE improvement for you as the on-board SiS graphics are like 1/100th the power of these DX9.0 3D cards.

Your system has 256MB of ram, from which some is in use likely by the on-board video. You should definately up this to 512mb or 1 gig total. A pair of 512MB (for a total of 1 gig) would be a cheap and massive upgrade for gaming as well.
thanks all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back