Need help on overclocking my AMD XP 2600+

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi everyone,
i would be thankfull if ppl can help me with this.
i have this computer since couple of years ago, and it served me well. since i'm a noob, i recently i came up with the method of overclocking. please tell me if i chould overclock my computer, and if so, to what extend so that i wont damage my CPU. i have:

AMD Athlon XP 2600+ 2.08GHz (i know, its old :( )
two DDR 256MG rams (512MB in total)
ASUS A78X2.0 motherboard
ATI Radeon 256MB videocard

supported voltage: 1.6V
External clock: 166Mhz
multiplier: 12.5x (i think its on auto, but its on 12.5 anywayz!!)
Max speed: 3000Mhz
Current speed: 2083MHz

Max. memory module size: 1204MB
supported speed: 70ns 60ns 50ns
supported memory type DIMM
memory module voltage: 3.3V
memory module handle: 06 07 08

current temperature of CPU: 46C (114F)
current temperature of MB: 28C (82F)
current vcore voltage: 1.68V
current CPU fan at: 3629

windows XP service pack 2
ASUS probe 2 (to easily check for temperature and voltage increase/decreas)

i think thats more that enough info, but tell me if i skipped something. i dont know if i should increase the external clock or the multiplier or anything else. which adjustment is the best and safest? thank you for helping me out.

how to check for ram, cpu cooling & PSU

i dont know how to check for these. i opened the case to see if it says it on the device, but didnt find any.

brand and type of ram(DDR or DIMM... is that the right type?), cpu cooling (the fan has an AMD trademark on it) and PSU (if i'm giving the right info for PSU, its 12.48V (for +12V), 4.784V (for +5V), 3.168V (for +3.3V) and 1.68V for Vcore)

how can i check for these?

Thanx

click here>CPU-Z
Will get the ram info.
PSU(power supply unit) should have info on it may need to remove other side panel.
If you have stock Amd cooling, you'll need to look into something better.
More power=more heat

CPU:
AMD athlon xp 2600+ Thoroughbred, socket A, 0.13 um technology
voltage: 1.680V
core speed: 2079.5
bus: 332.7
FSB: 166.4
multi: x12.5

RAM:
512 DDR (two 256 mgb)
frequency: 166.4 Mhz
FSB: DRAM= 1:1
timing: 2.5-3-3-7
dual channel
PC2700 (166mhz) spectek incorporated (each)

2 cache levels:
level 1: 64kb with latency of 3 cycles
level 2: 256kb with latency of 20 cycles

PSU:
NOVIA switching power suply 350 watts MAX, and output of 180 watts MAX (see picture for more info). also, it seems that my PSU keeps the three rails in spec.

my cpu fan is the amd manufacturer's, and if it cant handle the temperature, I will change it.

its wiered, when I run the CPU-Z program, after a while, for a second, my cpu fan goes below its threshold (went to 419 RPM) and it repeats this in a sequence of time!!! is this normal?? this happend only when cpu-z was on... since my asus probe 2 is always on and will give me sound alert if something is wrong. actually, it goes both up and down for a second, and increased my vcore voltage as well, in the same manner!!!!!

so I want to increase the FSB, but I dont know by how much and if I should change the latencies and/or the voltage.

Attachments

• PSU.jpg
    PSU.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 6
I think you'll find the cpu cooling and psu a small barrier to OC'ing.
Stable power is a must for OC'ing as is cooling.
Your ram may allow for a bump or 2.
It's been awhile since my atholon 2700+ OC.

Consider the costs to stabily OC'ing, compared to system upgrade,
MoBo+cpu+ram+psu.
You could drop $100 usd for psu &heatsink/fan.

G'Luck

I don't recommend overclocking. Any with the cost of a 3200+ XP chip just a tad more than what you got - I would upgrade it.

sami said:
i dont know if i should increase the external clock or the multiplier or anything else. which adjustment is the best and safest? thank you for helping me out.
you cannot simply change the external clock by typing in a new number. the external clock speed is determined by the FSB x multiplier. for your specific CPU its 166 x 12.5 = 2.086MHz (AthlonXP's don't use exact calculations)

your CPU is a thoroughbred core, which for a 2600+ is multiplier locked at 12.5, you cannot change it.

your default FSB is 166 (with DDR, it's effective speed is 333), this is the only setting that you can change. If your mobo has a PCI/AGP lock, then you have some breathing room, if it does not, then you really can't overclock without overclocking the PCI bus as well which will basically make it impossible to overclock. also, since you cannot lower the multiplier, you will be limited to how high you can raise the FSB

as far as what's safe, it's voltage and heat will kill your CPU. if you don't raise your voltage and can keep your temps low then it's pretty much safe. however to OC a significant amount, you will need to raise the voltage in small amounts to make it run stable (there is no generic "safe number" to tell you, each CPU will have a different voltage tolorence)

you should limit your overclock to what is attainable with your current hardware, an older system like that is not worth spending money on an AthlonXP system just to allow further overclocking.

What is your purpose or mind set for OC'ing?

We're not "just" trying to discourage you from OC'ing.
You really need to be very clear of consquences compared to benefits.

Some people go to the Extreme (OC drag racing) which fries everything, to moderate OC'ing, that nets small increase in performace. It can be done stabily and relatively safe. I'm doing it myself. I am aware of possible/inevitable consquences. I've invested enough $$ to be completely current with technology but have choosen to stay with older system. I'm hooked on customizing, older technology allows me a cheaper cost to play around but does not justify, in my mind, the minimal increase of performance. Not even close to what I could have with current technology.

Soon enough for me, current technology will be old, and I'll step it up.
I tend to stay 1 to 2 years behind.

What is your purpose or mind set for OC'ing?

well said. My foray into overclocking was a $200 fried CPU and probably at least another $100 worth of RAM.

SOcRatEs said:
Soon enough for me, current technology will be old, and I'll step it up.
I tend to stay 1 to 2 years behind
I'm the same way, to me it's just not worth buying the best hardware as soon as it comes out.

after all, i only upgraded from my AthlonXP rig a few months ago :) and I only upgraded it to an Athlon64 3000+ which is far from the top of the s939 processor line, and to think... socket 939 is being retired later this year anyways... lol

ah, when I get back from Iraq, I'll probably build a super rig when I have the buckazoids.... but right now, my XP 3200+ does everything I need it to do. They're really aren't any games out there that would motivate me to upgrade right now.
I built this one a year ago for Doom 3. Played fine.

Tedster said:
well said. My foray into overclocking was a $200 fried CPU and probably at least another $100 worth of RAM.
it was well said... there is nothing wrong with overclocking if you understand the risks and know your limits.

Tedster's overclocking experience was unique and does not happen to the majority of overclockers.

generally speaking, unless you are a voltage happy overclocker, you will want to upgrade your rig long before it dies as a result of overclocking.

and in sami's case, his CPU is 4 years old already... go ahead and push it! lol ;)

hey all, thanx for replying back.
even though my motherboard is thoroughbred core, i can still change the multiplier (to a max of 12.5), and FSB (to max 200). since my pc is quite old, i'll just push it to see how well it does... since i have to buy a new one anyways, why not try to make the best of the old one.
i have asus to control the temp and voltage and fan, and i'll use the programs given to "torture" my computer to see if the temperature goes above. but it seems that i have to do it little by little, changing the voltage just a bit each time. i will post my results here, just to inform you all how it went, but that will be after i finished my exam. so check back here if u want to see the results for yourself.
and once again, thank you all, been a great help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back