Need help on upgrading bios

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am getting "unknown cpu type" I just put in a Amd Athlon Xp 2800 fsb266 chip clocks at 2.13 ghz in my emachines motherboard is an AM35 bios specs below It runs fine but I just want to get rid of that unknown cpu crap

BIOS Type: Phoenix-Award BIOS v6.00PG
BIOS Date: 04/29/02
BIOS ID: KM266-8233-6A6LVF0BC-00
OEM Sign ON: Version VLA414E
SUPER I/O: ITE 8705/SiS 950 rev 2 found at port 2Eh
Chipset: VIA 82C3116 rev 0

anyone know where i can get a bios update for this as well as how to backup my bios just in case of crash after flash thanks in advance hope you guys can help me out

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Your cpu should run on an fsb of 166mhz(333mhz effective) Giving you a cpu speed of 2083mhz.

See HERE for AMD Athlon XP specs.

Check in your bios that the fsb is correct.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

its actually a 266fsb socket a processor its running fine its just i want to get rid of that annoying "unknown cpu type" thing any idea where i can get a bios update for my motherboard its an am35 mother board/ posted specs above in my first post thanks in advance

I`m sorry, but you are wrong.

An AMD Athlon XP2800+ Barton core, is supposed to run on an fsb of 166mhz(333mhz effective). Giving you a cpu speed of 2083mhz.

The fact that you`re running it on the wrong fsb is why you`re getting the unknown cpu type

Try setting your fsb to 166mhz, and you will see that your cpu is then properly identified.

Check the link I gave you.

Regards Howard :)

as far as updating the bios you would have to go to the EMachines website. IF they have any they would be under the support section. but I wouldnt hold my breath Emachines was never to great at support.

Can someone tell me how to change the fsb to 166 then cuz i have no clue of how to do that thanks I tried going in my bios and doin it but theres no option at all in my bios to do this anyone know of a another way thanks and sorry howard it was my mistake u were right but do u know how i can change it to 166 because like i said above i cant do it through my bios

if there is not an option in the bios then there should be a jumper on the motherboard.

i have an fic am35 motherboard anyone know where the jumper would be is there a windows based program that i can use to change the spd

I`ve just been looking at your mobo manual.

Your mobo doesn`t support an fsb beyond 133mhz(266mhz effective)

That`s why it wont recognise your current cpu, because your cpu requires an fsb 166mhz(333mhz effective)

Your mobo`s fsb is set via a jumper on the mobo. It only has two positions 100mhz, and 133mhz.

You can get your mobo manual HERE

Regards Howard :) :)

i see iwell i cant afford to buy a new cpu or mobo at this time i mean it doesnt recognise my cpu but everythigns running fine do u think i need to get another chip or install another mobo or can i get away with this one with the unknown cpu type everything runs fine no heat problems no program problems no crashes etc. so is my cpu in any danger that i dont know about? and thanks for all the help man really appreciate it.

If as you say your system is running fine, then I wouldn`t worry about it.

No your cpu isn`t in any danger. In fact because your cpu is being underclocked, it isn`t working as hard.

Running at 2.13GHz makes me believe it is a 2600+, not a 2800+. It does indeed use a 133MHz FSB & has 256KB of L2 cache.The multiplier should be 16x, any application such as CPU-z, CPUID, Everest will help you find that out.

it runs fine its just underclocked due to my mobo but it runs fine so i am not worried about it "if it ain't broke don't fix it" lol but it is a 2800+ bought it from newegg its just underclocked thats why it comes up as 2600+ my mobo cant support anything higher then 133 fsb and the cpu requires a 166 fsb but all is fine so i am not worried about it anymroe thanks for the posts and help guys

I think Didou has got a very good point.

There is a particular model of the Athlon XP2600+ that does indeed run at 2.13Ghz..

I don`t know why I didn`t think of that doh.

I guess I was too hung up on you saying you had an Athlon Xp 2800+

It all makes sense now.

Cheers Didou.

Regards Howard :grinthumb

it if is infact an athlon 2600+ i still get unknown cpu type even if it does run at 133mhz plus my jumper on my mobo is already set to 133mhz so what now maybe newegg sold me a refurbished cpu iread on newegg.com alot of people who bought the athlon xp 2800+ there cpu recognised it as an 2600+ but either way i am still gettin unknown cpu type if it is an 2600+ so what now lol?

Well, now we`ve deffinitely established what cpu you have.

Maybe doing a bios upgrade would indeed allow your cpu to be properly identified.

However, since your system is running just fine, I don`t recommend that you do upgrade the bios.

Flashing the bios always has the potential to go wrong, and leave you with a dead mobo. So unless there`s a real good reason to do so. Don`t.

Obviously it`s upto you.

i would flash my bios if i new where i could get a bios upgrade or how to back up my bios and if anything goes wrong how to reinstall my bios but in a way i want to flash it but then again kind of scared to

You will need to go to your mobo manufacturers website.

You should be able to get the latest bios from there.

Read, and follow all the instructions carefully.

Regards Howard :)

i dont think i will flash my bios the risk is greater then the reward any my comp seems to be running fine so i dont want to take the chance and screw it all up and have to end up buyin a whole new mobo or worse a whole new comp.

ramaq said:
i dont think i will flash my bios the risk is greater then the reward any my comp seems to be running fine so i dont want to take the chance and screw it all up and have to end up buyin a whole new mobo or worse a whole new comp.

My thoughts exactly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back