Need help please, get ready to laugh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, so I ordered all my pieces from new egg and started to put it to gether, but I made a huge mistake. Due to this being my first try at building a comp from peices I had a buddy come over who said he knew what he was doing. To make a long and very agravating problem short...

He put Arctic Silver 5 thermal paint in between my CPU and mother board and now my computer will not post.

Does any one at all have any ideas?

P.S. Needless to say I do not trust that person with computers at all anymore.

yes there could be a number of reasons for this.

1) there is not enough thermal paste between the CPU and the heatsink OR a more likly possibility is that their is too much there.

2) he may not have earthed himself when putting it together and shorted the CPU and blown it.

Did you buy a CPU with a heatsink in the box or did you but them seperetly?

James

Do you mean he put the paste between the cpu and the cpu socket? If so, it definitely short out something. You need to clean it all out immediately to avoid more damage; the board and the cpu might be still good. Man, this is really something new to me!

WOW didnt notice that!!!!!! did he actually put thermal paste between CPU and the motherboard itself??????????????????????????

in that case i think you can state that it will not work!!!

well spotted Bruce2

He strikes again!

42prosessor1.jpg

sorry mate but that has gone. If i was you get him to buy you a new board and CPU. This wont be covered under the warranty but if he says he knows a lot about PC's then he sucks.

James

Oh... sht!!! Worse than I thought. He is going to either buy you a new cpu and mobo or lick the crap off!!! Lol

Before buying a new mobo and cpu, try to wash the mass off as there are not much more damage could be done.

I've never done this before, but I would try to wash the cpu off first with a soft toothbrush with warm water then go over it with rubbing alcohol.

If it works, then clean the board buy leaning it side way so the water can flow out the edge. Wait till they are dry and try again do it the right way yourself.

Don't let you friend clean it for you because he may use toothpast on it. Lol

this build?

How is even possible to put thermal paste to the S775 socket?

Anyway, I use nail polish remover to clean old thermal paste / pads from CPUs, but I'm not sure what acetone would do to a mainboard plastics. It might be possible to clean it up and get it work again if you're careful (as most boards shut themselves down if they detect something really wrong with the CPU).

please post a picture.

before we can give any good advice, we need a picture.
(I gotta see this).

Do what Mictlantecuhtli said, but if you are concerned about the acetone then just use rubbing alcohol, 90% stuff if you can get it.

Well I got it kind of resolved. It is up and running with what seems 0 errors. I used a tooth brush and 95% alcohol to clean it. Well kinda, some of the paste drifted to the botoom of the CPU socket on the motherboard, but all the pin connectors are above it and are clean. Due to the small compartments it does not seem possible to get it all out.

As for that former friend, he got a short and sweet send off with my military training... Did not kill him, but he may not walk up right for a week or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back