Ok let me run my specs first.

Abit NF7-S series mobo.
AMD Athlon 3200+
ATI Radeon 9800 pro
Ethernet card
Powersupply im not sure
Lite On 52x24x52 CDRW
A floppy drive
2 hard drives, dont ask why but i dont even use the one but my comp wont run without it.
4 fans

OK, so my computer turns off every now and then and goes to the boot up screen but doesnt boot windows. But if i shut my computer down for awhile it will let me back on for awhile. Longer i leave it the longer i stay on. So i thought it was over heating.

My CPU temp: 132 F
My Case 109 F

I read the post that said 140 is normal for CPU but how do i lower the case,i mean got 4 fans in this thing, could it be a power supply?

also its running a little slugish and i get a message on the bottom right of my screen that says something like "could not save files for Steve9596" blah blah and then thats usually a sign that its gonna reboot.

Is that CPU temp when it's idling or under load? Where are you reading the temps from? Abit tends to read a bit high. Does the case temperature say case? OrYou say it's running sluggish. Have you run a scan with an up to date anti virus program? Have you run a spyware program like Spybot Search and Destroy 1.3 or AdAware SE 1.05? Do you have your intake fans low in the front and exhaust fans up high in the rear? Do you have filters on your intake fans? If you do have you checked to see if they are clogged with dust? Also check your heat sink and fan for accumulated dust. Also your chipset fan if you have one. Are you using the winbond monitoring app that came with the mobo CD? If so go to ABIT NF7 download site and download the ABIT EQ 1.1.1.2 after you uninstall the Winbond program. It's better. I'm guessing here but it sounds like you may have something hogging resources that doesn't belong there. When you get that "could not save" message, or when it starts getting sluggish, hit ctrl-alt-delete and open the Windows Task Manager. go to the processes tab and see if there is one program that is using a lot of the memory like 25,000K or more, besides explorer.exe. Check all that out and post back. The fact that you have to wait a bit before it will reboot sounds like heat to me also. Actually go to www.lavalys.com and download Everest Home Edition (freeware) and open computer then sensor, and check what your hard drive temps are as well.

Yes it is the case temp. I am using a mobo monitor. When i turn the computer on the temp is fine(80-85) then it shoots up to like 107-109 in like 5 mins.I think its just the case because the CPU stays at a 132-134 and thats normal. I felt the video card and it was hot but other thinngs were regular. Im sure its not a virus i have norton anti virus working all the time and i just scanned with brand new updates and not spyware either. Im gonna check my hard drive temps when i get back from school, i do have two of them so maybe that could be it. Also, what are some good fans cause i might need new ones. As for tsk manager, iexplorer and explorer were the other things that big that were running.

motherboard is 95 F
CPU is 108 F
Case is 93 and rising
Hard Drive is 75 F
Power supply fan is around 1000RPM
And it says i only have one cooling fan but i know i have 4 working

It says you only have 1 cooling fan because you have the one hooked up to the aux or system fan connector on the mobo. You should try to get that fan connected directly to the power supply like the others. Drawing additional current through your mobo doesn't help you. connected to the mobo is why the monitor sees it. Have you left an open PCI slot next to the graphics card? You should if you can, it gives better air flow around the card that helps it stay cooler.

There are a lot of different case fans to choose from. What you need to decide is whether you want cooling or quiet or in between. You need to look at CFM or cubic feet per minute to see how much air the fan pushes. Also you need to look at dBL or Decibels, the amount of noise the fan makes. The Vantec Stealth 80mm fans push 27CFM at 20dBL. The Vantec Tornado on the other end, pushes 80+CFM at 55dBL which is really loud. It sounds like you are running a power generator under your desk. It also draws enough power that most recommend you don't connect it to a mobo fan header at all. Those are the extremes. You can get the 80mm case fans in different thicknesses 80x80x20mm or 80x80x25mm Most are 25mm.

I use only Sunon fans. KD1208PTB2s 80x80x25. They run at 37CFM at 32dBL. That's about the bast noise to CFM ratio out there. Or was the last time I bought any. If you are into lights and modding your case they only come in black. Sorry. I also have the metal mesh work on the case where the fans connect behind, cut away. It cuts down the noise and increases the air flow. The fans are pretty much silent. If you took the blades off and just ran the motor you would probably not hear anything. The noise a fan makes is actually being produced by the air moving. I also have a side intake. I installed an 80mm to 120mm adapter, and have a 120x120x38mm Sunon there that pushes 98CFM at 36dBL. You can see that the larger the fan the more efficient CFM to dBL ratio you will get. Anyway 100F or 38C for the system is not really that hot. Especially when you have a high end video card in there.

I'm sure you have done this but make sure your case fans are installed the right way. Tear off a little strip of kleenex and hold it in front of your intake slot on the case front and make sure it gets sucked toward the case. And do the same in the rear making sure it gets blown away.

About you mobo fan connectors. There are 3 marked fan but actually you have 4. Look in your users guide and make sure the chipset fan is connected to the J10 connector. Don't even use the chafan1 or pwrfan1 connectors. And of course the CPU fan goes in the cpu fan1 connector next to the socket. What kind of speed are you showing for your chip set fan. It should be twice the speed of the CPU fan.

i think the one on the back was blowing out so i only had one sucking in and 3 blwoing and the one on the side is right next to my video card, could that help alot if its blowing in

The side fans go across the front to back flow and disrupt it a bit. You really have to try the side fan as intake and exhaust. Depending on the case and configuration it works best either way. You need to test it to see what works best for you. Some are set in the middle of the side panel others like mine are offset towards the rear so they aim right at the CPU socket. I only run my side fan during the summer. It also increases my RPMs on my heatsink fan by 250RPMs. Look on the rear of your case. Many cases with 2 rear exhaust fans will have anther set of holes so you have the option of replacing the 2 80s with a 120mm.

Clean your fans ... Another thing you can try is open the side of the case blow a small floor fan in there.. If you are using a metal case your temps are going to be high I suggest a 120mm fan for the front to suck in cool air from the outside.. 2 80mm on the back as well as one on the side of your case ( here what i did I got a cast that has vnt holes on the top the Raidmax storm) works well becuse heat raises and goes right out the vent.. Also place a pci fan buy your card .

What I am reading here is you are also having random reboots? this could very well point to the power supply itself.. YOu can buy a powersupply tester at your local computer store...

Thanks guys, i took my old hard drive out and made the new one the primary and reformatted and so far so good, u think it coulda been the old hard drive.

INeedHelp15 said:
Thanks guys, i took my old hard drive out and made the new one the primary and reformatted and so far so good, u think it coulda been the old hard drive.

Well if it working now maybe give it a few days then you know that was the problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back